Something i noticed yesterday

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Right i will set the scene..

i had to go to Peterborough yesterday to pick up a motorbike (yes i finally bought one - Honda CG125)

one thing i noticed almost immediately is

Drivers up here in the North have manners i.e thank people for letting them out of junctions etc but also drive like cocks i.e a car driving in middle lane of M6 who then shoots over to hard shoulder to undertake people to then rejoin the motorway further ahead :shock:

Drivers down south seem to lack manners an never (generally) thank anyone but do drive very civilised, also just like to point out, nobody seemed angry unlike up here

thats is all, carry on
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Peterborough is in the north.
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Veronese68 wrote:

Anywhere south of Garforth is the South.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Veronese68 wrote:

Cambridgeshire is the North now? Or are you using the 'north of the Watford Gap' definition
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Veronese68 wrote:

as oppose to London perhaps, but they still all talk funny down there

funny talking = southern
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If neither the Northerners nor the Southerners want Peterborough, maybe it should be abolished...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's just a dump.
  • veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Cambridgeshire is the North now? Or are you using the 'north of the Watford Gap' definition

Usually, sometimes north of the river is enough for me. Depends on how irritating I want to be.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Usually, sometimes north of the river is enough for me. Depends on how irritating I want to be.

Given how southies (ie south of the river) are so rude I'd expected nothing less from a piece of scum like you... :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Given how southies (ie south of the river) are so rude I'd expected nothing less from a piece of scum like you... :D
    Are you after something? Such flattery usually precedes a request for a 'small' favour.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I've never been to Peterborough but its name evokes dark castles, marauding Vikings, peasants eating raw root vegetables and grim windswept moors.

And for that reason I believe it to be in the North.
  • rjsterry
    I've never been to Peterborough but its name evokes dark castles, marauding Vikings, peasants eating raw root vegetables and grim windswept moors.

Dude, it's on the edge of the Fens, at roughly the same latitude as Wolverhampton. At a push you could describe it as East Midlands.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Wolverhampton

Where the fvck is that?

Sounds far away.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    North of the M3 -> A31 -> A35 -> A30 wedge?

Jeez, that is far north.
  • rjsterry wrote:

Dude, it's on the edge of the Fens, at roughly the same latitude as Wolverhampton. At a push you could describe it as East Midlands.

f*ck off, we don't want it.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey

Peterborough = 12117618342049654957DooFi_Turd.svg.med.png
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Yeah, what with the places you've already got to worry about :P

The cathedral is quite impressive, but I can't remember much more from my one visit.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yeah, what with the places you've already got to worry about :P

The cathedral is quite impressive, but I can't remember much more from my one visit.

Pfft. Ely's down the road if you want a cathedral.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    It does have a decent 1000m rowing lake; I still have a T-shirt from their regatta somewhere, with "The Big Straight Hard One" emblazoned across the front.

I didn't realise it was as far North as Wolverhampton; if that's the case, it must be in the North...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Good road system and an ordinary Crematorium.

My Peterborough Experience.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    To some people up here in Newcastle, the south starts on the south bank of the Tyne! Never been to Peterbrough though.
    One of them once said to me "so, you're from the smoke?", (meaning London). My reply was "no, I don't smoke"
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Veronese68 wrote:

+1 once you cross the river you're pretty much all savage shoeless beasts :P

no really :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.