Anglo / American wheel building

Fen Grinder
Fen Grinder Posts: 22
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone,
Just a bit of fun for you all. I have just started wheelbuilding. For my first set of wheels i have decided to try and build entirely angl/us wheels. Hubs / Spokes and Rims etc.
So any suggestions of major and minor manufacturers invited.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    What are the wheels for? What sort of budget? The spokes are going to be the big issue, DTswiss are out, sapim are out which leaves???? ACI maybe? Halo make spokes and are a uk company.

I've got some wheels with halo hubs and rims (on my caad) and a set of commuting wheels with halo calibre rims and hope hubs. Personally I'd go for a uk based wheelset unless you're looking for some proper american exotica for the rims/hubs.
  • I'm after a 'best set' All Brit would be great. What i really want is Hope Hubs with deep rims and aero spokes, but other than Reynolds, i'm struggling to find suppliers of parts as oppose to full wheel sets. I'll look at ACI though, never heard of them.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Chris King hubs? Luvvvverrrly :)
  • ACI is Italian, and as far as I am aware DT Swiss is not swiss but American... I would assume American Classics are US rims... but your effort is completely pointless as all parts are manufactured in Taiwan anyway and the shareholders of the companies might be from malaysia, as far as we know...

Move on, it's a globalised world

I still remember that guy on the forum, highly disappointed as his Colnago frameset carried a big "made in Taiwan" tag
    left the forum March 2023
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I think DT are owned by Giant who are Taiwanese. What about Velocity rims? Are they American?
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Velocity are Australian. I think they're even made there; I seem to remember being surprised when I built up the wife's wheels with Blunt SL's.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    AFAIK there are no UK producers of rims or spokes - just hubs from the likes of Hope, Royce or Goldtec.
    US hub makers are Chris King and White Industries
    In terms of US rim makers, you'll probably be limited to carbon fron the likes of Enve
    Wheelsmith are a US spoke manufacturer: http://www.wheelsmith.com/aboutwheelsmith.html

FWIW the likes of Halo don't make anything - just rebranded generic stuff from Taiwan - rims are Kinlin, who also make AM Classics. Likewise, Velocity are an Australian company but rims are made in Far East.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks Guys, ruin my fun!! I suppose you're also going to tell me that Planet X and Boardman are not made in the uk.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Thanks Guys, ruin my fun!! I suppose you're also going to tell me that Planet X and Boardman are not made in the uk.

Correct!! :D