Club Runs, Cake Stops and Locks

thescouselander
thescouselander Posts: 549
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I was wondering what people do on club runs to secure their bikes at the cake stop. The only locks I have would require a bag to carry them in but what do people to if they don't want to carry a bag?

Comments

• http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-combiflex-202-90cm-cable-bike-lock/ Im looking at getting one these or something similar when the weather starts getting better, it will only stop someone walking off with your bike, so id still keep it in sight.
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-combiflex-202-90cm-cable-bike-lock/ Im looking at getting one these or something similar when the weather starts getting better, it will only stop someone walking off with your bike, so id still keep it in sight.

That looks just the thing, thanks.
  • mercedism
    mercedism Posts: 102
    Do a search for snowboard lock, all the same sort of thing.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    You can also get ones similar to the abus with an alarm.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I have the Abus cable, very handy little things. I've also thought a couple of long re-useable cable ties would do much the same job. Nice and light and would pack away easy enough. Barring that, just make sure your bike is under a few other bikes, and not the first one to hand! :)
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Just don't cycle near Liverpool and you'll be fine :D
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never had need of a lock. Just choose cafes where you can see your bike.
    All the best cafes are out of the way anyway.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-combiflex-202-90cm-cable-bike-lock/ Im looking at getting one these or something similar when the weather starts getting better, it will only stop someone walking off with your bike, so id still keep it in sight.

One of those looks ideal for the winter coffee stops, could you tell me how big it is?
  • i dont have one personally, description says its about the size of a mobile phone.
  • This thread has just made me order one of these.

http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/goods.php?id=13001062&utm_source=gbuk

Its pink and cheap, hopefully will do the trick.
    Ideally i can change the number to something i can remember, some of the even cheaper ones you can't.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    mercedism wrote:
    This thread has just made me order one of these.

http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/goods.php?id=13001062&utm_source=gbuk

Its pink and cheap, hopefully will do the trick.
    Ideally i can change the number to something i can remember, some of the even cheaper ones you can't.

Cheaper than £3.32! What is it? A roll of sellotape! :wink:
  • Amoger
    Amoger Posts: 46
    "•Please remember your code firmly"
    "Mess the code and the lock is finished"

:)

Ordered one - free postage too.
  • Lucan wrote:
    Just don't cycle near Liverpool and you'll be fine :D

It's much worse than that - I generally cycle round Bristol. Never has there been such a hive of scum and villainy.
  • I take my front wheel with me and keep the bike in sight. It doesn't stop someone carrying the bike off but at least they can't ride away laughing and I've got some chance of catching them if they don't throw it in a van.
  • Amoger
    Amoger Posts: 46
    Hm, tok over 2 months for that Suntek little pink cable lock to turn up, & it worked for all of 5 mins. Doesn't lock, and have been through all 999 combinations to make sure I hadn't accidentally reset the code.

"Buy cheap, buy twice".
  • mercedism
    mercedism Posts: 102
    Amoger wrote:
    Hm, tok over 2 months for that Suntek little pink cable lock to turn up, & it worked for all of 5 mins. Doesn't lock, and have been through all 999 combinations to make sure I hadn't accidentally reset the code.

"Buy cheap, buy twice".

Mine works fine and can adjust combination easily. Did notice they do a green one on there two. You have to press the little button in to set the number and it has to be spot on when unlocking.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    I was wondering what people do on club runs to secure their bikes at the cake stop.

Ride the bike like you stole it for the last mile to the cafe , get there first and lean it up against the wall, then watch as the others lean their bikes on yours and enter the cafe safe in the knowledge that a thief would have to move a dozen bikes to get to yours. :wink: works like a charm and it never harms to get to the counter in the cafe first .
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Lazarus wrote:
    I was wondering what people do on club runs to secure their bikes at the cake stop.

Ride the bike like you stole it for the last mile to the cafe , get there first and lean it up against the wall, then watch as the others lean their bikes on yours and enter the cafe safe in the knowledge that a thief would have to move a dozen bikes to get to yours. :wink: works like a charm and it never harms to get to the counter in the cafe first .

+1 Learn to drift to the back of the group a mile or so before the cafe and then catch them all napping with an explosive burst of speed. The rest is history. :D