Gigantex rims?

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
Evening all, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Powertap wheelset built by The Wheelsmith. After having a chat with him it sounds like for the kind of riding I'll be doing (race, occasional TT, club training rides at 18+ avg) the Gigantex 50mm clincher option (don't fancy the tubs, its a personal thing) would be the one to go for. I know that several of you out there have bought the Gigantex rims from him, I found a thread dating back to 2009 for example. Can anyone post up experiences of the wheels, positive or negative?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• I have had a set 50mm Gigantex tubs of Derek and they were very nice indeed.I sold them to fund my Powertap setup.
    He`s a good wheel builder who know`s he`s products well and has helped me out when he really could have just hung up the phone.So it`s a positive from me.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I have had a set 50mm Gigantex tubs of Derek and they were very nice indeed.I sold them to fund my Powertap setup.
    He`s a good wheel builder who know`s he`s products well and has helped me out when he really could have just hung up the phone.So it`s a positive from me.

+1 Three seasons now racing on Gigantex 50mm tubs. No dramas, wheels still tensioned, no wear or haasles. Can't say anymore than that, buy with confidense.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Thanks guys, sounds good
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Derek built me a pair of 50mm clinchers on Superlight hubs with CX Rays. Lovely wheels. Very strong too.

I have just developed a problem with the front one though, and a very strange problem it is too. The left side of the front rim braking surface has started excessively wearing that brake block down. I have cleaned off any residue, changed blocks to Swiss-stop yellow and tried again. Same problem. Turned the wheel round and now it is excessively wearing the other pad! So it is definitely the rim and not a pad/ brake issue.

Derek has been fantastic thus far. I am couriering the wheel back to him for inspection to find out what the problem is. If needs be he said he will re-rim it. Can't argue with that, another plus for Wheelsmith...

PP
  • What carbon did you go for Pilot Pete and how heavy did they end being?

Can't wait for the good weather so I can order up a pair.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    What carbon did you go for Pilot Pete and how heavy did they end being?

I went for the Gigantex carbon clinchers. Don't know what grade of CF they are, if that's what you asking? I took Derek's advice regarding build. I had experienced problems with my stock wheels - Most Chall clinchers, 20/24 spoke. The rear spokes had started pulling through the rim in less than 12 months use. I am 82kg. Derek said that's not enough spokes for someone my size, but seems to be norm for 'off the shelf' bikes.

So with 50mm carbon rims he said 20/24 would be fine and they sure are strong. I get no flex from them when climbing and the aero advantage is very noticeable when you first ride them, I reckon worth about 1mph on my average speeds.

I have not weighed them, so couldn't comment accurately on what they tip the scales at, but they are VERY light compared to my old wheels. At a guess I would say somewhere in the region of 1400g the pair. The Sapim CX Ray spokes are amazing; they are incredibly thin, light and yet amazingly strong, well worth speccing them. The Novatec Superlight hubs are buttery smooth and again, very light. Very pleased with them. Like I said, just one issue with the front rim, which is about to be couriered back to Derek to take a look.

I got my original wheels replaced under warranty, now been superseded by Most Wildcat, not sure if they will be any better, but the front is standing in as a spare until I get the Gigantex back....

PP