anyone using a chainguide on a canyon nerve?

spudly1979
spudly1979 Posts: 172
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi, looking at switching my canyon nerve over to 2x10 and a bash guard and chain guide from the current 3x10 set up.

I was just wondering if anyone is already using this set up, and if the chain guide fitted ok and which guide you used? See, i looked on the canyon website and it says the nerve am comes with iscg 05 mounts as standard, but according to Cullen over at Canyon UK this:

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/shop/?category=F01&item=27165

is the only chain guide which will work with my frame?

Anyone got any advice?
Canyon AM 6.0
At some point i am going to manage to jump one of these things.....

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    well of course thats the only one that will fit, its made by canyon :lol: , did you really expect him to tell you to spend your money some where else when the have one with there logo on?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    looking at a pic of a nerve am bb area, the rear swing arm pivot seems to sit further outboard of the iscg tabs, hence the reason for the cut-out part of the guide you have linked.

i think you will be having problems fitting any other type without major modifications.
  • Yeah, I asked Cullen directly why I couldn't use any others as the bike had iscg tabs. His reply was basically that: the shape of the frame won't permit it. Guess I'll have to order theirs then!
    Canyon AM 6.0
  • chez_m356
    spudly1979 wrote:
    Yeah, I asked Cullen directly why I couldn't use any others as the bike had iscg tabs. His reply was basically that: the shape of the frame won't permit it. Guess I'll have to order theirs then!
    if a frame can take a hammerschmidt am crank, shouldn't it be able to take a normal chainguide ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chez_m356 wrote:
    spudly1979 wrote:
    Yeah, I asked Cullen directly why I couldn't use any others as the bike had iscg tabs. His reply was basically that: the shape of the frame won't permit it. Guess I'll have to order theirs then!
    if a frame can take a hammerschmidt am crank, shouldn't it be able to take a normal chainguide ?
    it is most likely to be the arm to the roller that would need modding on other devices.

not dificult to do but....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • you need an adapter to run anything other than the Canyon chainguide.

The Canyon has non standard ISCG tabs. They have a narrower BCD than normal ISCG/ISCG 05 tabs.

This is the adapter, I got one with my Torque... don't believe they sold them with the Nerve as another lad on here had issues fitting a normal guide.
    Photoon2011-10-13at2310.jpg

I also have a Canyon guide sitting around somewhere.....
  • chez_m356
    you need an adapter to run anything other than the Canyon chainguide.

The Canyon has non standard ISCG tabs. They have a narrower BCD than normal ISCG/ISCG 05 tabs.

This is the adapter, I got one with my Torque... don't believe they sold them with the Nerve as another lad on here had issues fitting a normal guide.
    Photoon2011-10-13at2310.jpg

I also have a Canyon guide sitting around somewhere.....
    and yet on the website for the torque frame set says it has ISCG 05 standard ? and if i remember correctly i think it said the same for the 2011 nerve AM frame set,though they don't seem to be doing the frame set for the AM 2012, maybe they lost something in translation
  • its all explained on the german side of the website, but not the english.

it has standard iscg tabs if you use the adapter :wink:
  • chez_m356
    its all explained on the german side of the website, but not the english.

it has standard iscg tabs if you use the adapter :wink:
    was lost in translation then :D there chain guide doesn't look that bad though :D
  • Hmmm, all a bit confusing then - the canyon UK guy said that any iscg 05 chain guide could be bolted on without needing am adaptor - I specifically asked him that.

However he said that because of the shape of the swing arm, no other chain guide would work with the frame.

To be honest, as Chez says, their chain guide looks ok and is reasonably priced at 34 quid. I object to paying a Tenner for delivery from Germany tho! It's only 20 or so for the delivery of a full bike from memory!
    Canyon AM 6.0
  • chez_m356
    roughly £35 postage for a full bike, very confusing that, i like the part where it says its compatible with 2 or 3 speeds cranksets and it can be fitted with up to a 36 t chainring, are there many triple chainsets where the big ring is only 36 t, must be another thing that got lost in translation :D