Masters or Crit's?

thetool
thetool Posts: 28
edited February 2012 in Amateur race
I'm going to have a go at racing this year but don't know whether to do Master's or Crit's.

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    what are masters..?
  • thetool
    thetool Posts: 28
    Age related.I would be in the 45+
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    I am a bit older than you and have tended to do the BC crit races plus the odd road race
    Have all been fine but haven't won any of the 3/4's
    Going to give a few of the LVRC events a go this year as well

All depends what you want from them. I'm not quite at the stage where I want my age to be taken into account....but there again :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481
    I think he's a cousin from over the pond so probably a completely different system. Don't know the answer I'm afraid!
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    from Atlanta, by the looks of it. I was struggling with the original question because it appeared to be an illogical choice between an age-related category and a type of racing. Still not really sure what was meant...
  • Yeah I am originally from Leicester but have lived in Atlanta for the past 12 years.I think its a bit different over here with the categories.I am able to start racing at cat 5 or Masters which is age related but in this you have ex pros etc.I've been riding for just over 7 months and have just started riding with Cat 2/3 training groups.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    You have the choice - race both.

It's likely that you'll find Cat 5 easier, but it's also likely that the masters will be "safer" albeit possibly harder.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • After doing a bit more research I'm thinking of having ago @ Cat 5 and take it from there.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Pseudonym wrote:
    from Atlanta, by the looks of it. I was struggling with the original question because it appeared to be an illogical choice between an age-related category and a type of racing. Still not really sure what was meant...
    I was going to suggest MK bowl for both masters and crits until I read your post :D
    I only did sportives and training in USA but no racing, training was experience out there, I was even called a fag for being on a bike in lycra, don't think they big fat guy in the pickup understood my response due to accent but he understood my middle finger before trying to hit me off :D
    Don't know if this is normalbut in Boston area road users are apparently wuite abusive to riders,more so than here apparently :D
  • Yeah.There are some right knuckle heads over here,almost as bad as the big ass pot hole everywhere.Makes me wish I was back home.
  • I'm going to ride Masters wherever possible if only because the standard of riding is higher that yer typical 4ths crits.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I'm going to ride Masters wherever possible if only because the standard of riding is higher that yer typical 4ths crits.
    really ? :D Dont forget you can get total beginners who are vets also, who have just started racing so have to watch out occasionally :?
  • Im not old enough for masters but I started out with Cat 5 and it was a good introduction to racing.

Cat 5 has reputation for lots of crashes but we had some experienced (and higher cat riders) in with the group to act as rolling marshalls and that helped.
  • This my main concern,don't really want to end up in the railings on my first race.............