Stick or Twist? To sell or not to sell is the question??

jimtorch
jimtorch Posts: 40
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Many of you must have been there before, surrounded by the new years factory fresh bikes in your LBS the temptation to tell yourself you NEED a new bike is all too much to bare, so i need the good people of the forum to give me some unbiased advice.

Question - Do I save up my pennies and buy a new bike that will cost a huge amount of my hard earned cash OR do I stick with what I've got and ride it until the wheels fall off?
Does a new bike = more fun?? (I think i know the answer)

This is my current ride and I keep having the nagging feeling that it's showing it's age even though it's as tight as a drum, well looked after etc.

What do you all think? Has the tech changed so much since 2006 that i'd see a massive difference? Should i be going 140mm instead of this 120mm?

Also, if i was to sell it, how much do you think i'd get??

What to do??

You'll see that it's well specced, loads of XT and XTR plus Carbon FSA seat post and bars and Thomson stem. Hope bits plus Nobby Nics

6796260235_28d06226d5.jpg

6796263461_e0b8cd227a.jpg

6796265235_62f959a10d.jpg

6796448657_6e928c8776.jpg

6796456363_5f3ffb8612.jpg

6796446071_0997b785f5.jpg

6796441837_fffc3fa006.jpg
bird, bird, bird, birds the word

Comments

• swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    I was with you until I saw your bike. I'd say stick.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Stick unless your riding style is gonna change in the near future, if it ain't broke and all that.....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's always a good reason to buy a new bike.

That said, that's a nice bike. Keep it.

and buy another one too :D
  • When did it last have a "proper" service? Forks and shock included.

It's very well specced, and looks (as you say) like it's been well looked after.

Thing is, you'd pay a LOT of money to get something with the same spec today, and at the end of the day, no matter how well looked after it is, it is still a 6yr old bike, resale value is not going to be great.

You might find that by sending the forks and shock off to TFT or whoever completely transforms it.
  • Depends how much cash you have burning a hole in your pocket. I'd love to upgrade to your current bike!

Given the age you probably won't get a fraction of what its actually worth as it'll be priced with a million other 5 year old clunkers with no (unknown) maintenance. Even though you know its been loved more than your first kid and powdered and oiled more often too that won't make much difference on fleabay....
  • Anonymous
    More likely to get a good price through a *decent* LBS. But they'd take a nice cut of course. They can sell it on with a guarantee and serviced if required. Then again with the age they may not think it's worth it. If you've got a really friendly (ideally independent) LBS who care about bikes, worth a chat if you're serious about selling it.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Twist. I upgraded twice in recent years. Happy I did both times. I'd probably spank the money on a frame aans forks and keep the bits though.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Change the rear can for an RP23 - makes a huge difference. The bike will be like new.
  • Anonymous
    If you wanted to sell though, maybe this is the way - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-R ... 0813379837
  • Yeah - if doing it that way, I'd get one with bigger cans.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    If you wanted to sell though, maybe this is the way - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-R ... 0813379837

SOLD! I don't care what size it is I'm having it and I'll collect too! :D
  • deadkenny wrote:
    There's always a good reason to buy a new bike.

That said, that's a nice bike. Keep it.

and buy another one too :D

You might have a point there......
  • Depends how much cash you have burning a hole in your pocket. I'd love to upgrade to your current bike!

Given the age you probably won't get a fraction of what its actually worth as it'll be priced with a million other 5 year old clunkers with no (unknown) maintenance. Even though you know its been loved more than your first kid and powdered and oiled more often too that won't make much difference on fleabay....

Yeah a mate of mine said "you may be able to spend more money but you won't necessarily get a better bike"

I think i'm going to listen to everyones advice and sit on my hands oh and not go within 100yrds of a bike shop! :lol:
  • so, when were the forks and shock last serviced then?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    n+1
    From the man who's in the process of N-1 :lol:

I'd say just wait for a couple of weeks, if the suspension needs servicing then get it done, ride it again and see if the urge for something new is still there.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    Feel for you on this one, having had the same issues myself recently. Reading reviews of new bikes like Zestys Anthems that seem to be growing in popularity doesn't seem to help either.

I've concluded however that unless my bike isn't up to scratch or I'm not having as much fun on it then there's no real reason to change it. And what's to say if I did buy a new bike now in a few years time that I won't be right back to where I was looking at something else?

I would say unless you're changing your style of riding stick with what you have and perhaps treat yourself to a few new parts. Although looking at your bike not quite sure what they are going to be :?

I do have one more suggestion to add though. Me and a friend swapped bikes for a few weeks just for a change and the chance to ride something else. Seemed like a cheap way to have another bike for a bit and if nothing else did make me miss the bike I had
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • I'm on the same page as you Nick Cod, I say to myself "but the next bike will be the only bike i'll ever buy" and you know that tech always moves on and in 3 years time you'd be looking again. I have the same issues with cars, sell it while its worth something or use it till it breaks?

I've decided with the help of you lot that i'll stay put, thanks for the advice all
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I bought an XTC29er last year in Sept as i wanted a change... on a whim..

I bought a Bionicon Supershuttle at the weekend on a whim too...

However, yours is a nice nice machine... keep it.
  • I've got the XC comp 2007:
    6606878095_5eeaa9bac6.jpg
    Basically the same frame as yours, use it for everything, even black runs. Sure I could do it better on a 140+ travel bike but I consider it more of a challenge.

Or perhaps I'm being stupid. Either way I'm having fun :lol: .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd service what you have, put a better rear shock on and ride. Things haven't moved on that much in the last few years.
  • Bikerguy15 wrote:
    I've got the XC comp 2007:
    6606878095_5eeaa9bac6.jpg
    Basically the same frame as yours, use it for everything, even black runs. Sure I could do it better on a 140+ travel bike but I consider it more of a challenge.

Or perhaps I'm being stupid. Either way I'm having fun :lol: .

Nice looking bike there mate with some nice tweaks, you're right too, whenever me and my cycling buddy go around Cannock we always give it the full beans so would that be any better on a 140mm?? We rarely get overtaken by anyone except the full lycra'd XC boys but they're in a different league anyway.
    My pals an ex old skool downhiller but he rides a hard tail now and he's like an absolute rocket downhill to the point that i think he's got a sneaky engine hidden away somewhere. As we all know but hate to admit it's down to the basics of skill and fitness as much as the machine.
    My new plan? Get the miles under my belt and just get out there.........then two bikes!!
  • Difficult one this.

I was having this exact conversation with someone just last weekend believe it or not.

I think its old & will probably fail, very spectacularly when you least expect it. More than likley while you are head down, arse up, screaming down a trail at cannock tring to keep up with your mentalist mate. This is bad.

I will do you a favour & take it off you. Because you are a fellow mtb'r & I will even give you £50 for it.

You'll be so much safer on a brand new bike.

You still won't catch that mentalist on the hardtail though.
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    think its old & will probably fail, very spectacularly when you least expect it. More than likley while you are head down, ars* up, screaming down a trail at cannock tring to keep up with your mentalist mate. This is bad

Ha ha ha :lol: , reverse psychology. Testament to the fact that your bike is still seen as desirable to others, stick with it Jim
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • Ok i used to ride similar,

But the motivation to change bike to me was a move from pure long pedaling rides to being far more gravity orientated, i would say in terms of XC machine they still isn't much better than what you ahve, but it's not much of a decender! so if you want to move your focus from being the fastest round a trail, to the fastest person down a trail then swap other wise i'd stick.
  • jimtorch wrote:
    My new plan? Get the miles under my belt and just get out there.........then two bikes!!

I'll vouch for that, keep telling myself this but still manage to miss it somehow. Dammed females.
  • TheKonakid wrote:
    Difficult one this.

I was having this exact conversation with someone just last weekend believe it or not.

I think its old & will probably fail, very spectacularly when you least expect it. More than likley while you are head down, ars* up, screaming down a trail at cannock trying to keep up with your mentalist mate. This is bad.

I will do you a favour & take it off you. Because you are a fellow mtb'r & I will even give you £50 for it.

You'll be so much safer on a brand new bike.

You still won't catch that mentalist on the hardtail though.

HAHA! I knew it was you, everyone, this is the SofaB that has the sneaky engine.
    £50?!? how very dare you! and it'll be you trying to keep up with me next weekend when I'm fueled up with a "Breakfast of Champions" (Redbull and a flapjack in case anyone else was wondering)

Have you got that basket for the front yet :wink:
  • Ha! :D

Yep the basket is fitted. I'm considering a sidestand too, what do you think?

I should really give up on the shopper & buy a proper mountian bike.