Denied Access

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 27,686
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
I keep my bikes in a steel shed - one of the Asgard models. Very good it is too, and I've had no trouble with it until this morning. One of the shrouded padlocks refused to budge. At first I thought it might be the cold, but after fiddling with it for 15 minutes, I figured it can't have been that cold, and I can turn the key part of the way, so the barrel is obviously OK. Another 15 minutes and the key is starting to bend. I really don't want to snap it off in the lock, so I decide to abandon the idea of cycling to work and get the train instead :(

While I'm at work Mrs RJS phones a locksmith who sets to it: he agrees that the barrel of the lock is fine, but confirms that something is jamming the hasp, and stopping it from opening. Anyway, 2hrs later, he has miraculously managed to cut through the hasp of the padlock with only a few minor scratches to the shed.

Well done him - he must have been frozen and I can't see how he managed to do it without cutting the shed as the padlock is almost completely shrouded when locked.lockshroud.jpg
Well done Asgard - said locksmith was impressed at how long it took him to get in, even allowing for the fact that a thief wouldn't take so much care.
Not so well done to the Securit padlock that cost me £65 to have it removed.

c2LJ3Vs2A84LGTFEgQVThlw_p7hpEU1hnhPTgg_4dSKqGYVagDSI5_PHHEc032ODTrp8sbu3FtQsvZCzfhVZC_AclZV47C7fhPvxKu2702fSwh-79N1kkjqhRDi3PHqUGjP3bRq2FJJe9vMvtZiVZsGNMd4QfW3s2R4m4RlA=s90-c
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    How the hell did he cut through that without busting the shroud open?

Abloy are pretty much the best padlocks, btw.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    I dearly hope that is neither your watch nor your arms.
  • rjsterry

Thankfully not.

@davis: I don't know either, but he earned his £65
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    rjsterry wrote:
    ... cost me £65 to have it removed.
    That's a bargain: £32:50 an hour - most trades people charge considerably more (e.g. gas fitters and plumbers).
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • rjsterry
    ToeKnee wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    That's a bargain: £32:50 an hour - most trades people charge considerably more (e.g. gas fitters and plumbers).

He insisted on only charging for one hour despite sitting in the freezing cold for two. Mrs RJS offered tea and jaffa cakes, but he only accepted the tea. What a star!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    rjsterry wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

He insisted on only charging for one hour despite sitting in the freezing cold for two. Mrs RJS offered tea and jaffa cakes, but he only accepted the tea. What a star!
    Cash? ;)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,326
    rjsterry wrote:
    Mrs RJS offered tea and jaffa cakes, but he only accepted the tea. What a star!
    Not necessarily, maybe he's a sensible chap and realises that jaffa Cakes are just wrong.
    Good to hear the store is so secure.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Raymond Weil Tango: http://www.time2.co.uk/shop/r-weil-5381-stp-00308.html
    5381-stp-00308-1.jpg

Around £800 - £850.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    rjsterry wrote:
    c2LJ3Vs2A84LGTFEgQVThlw_p7hpEU1hnhPTgg_4dSKqGYVagDSI5_PHHEc032ODTrp8sbu3FtQsvZCzfhVZC_AclZV47C7fhPvxKu2702fSwh-79N1kkjqhRDi3PHqUGjP3bRq2FJJe9vMvtZiVZsGNMd4QfW3s2R4m4RlA=s90-c

The exact same thing happened to me with the exact same padlock. A massive polish guy in Facilities broke through the chain link next to it and extricated my bike. He was at it for about 20 minutes, flexing and heaving and cursing in some Slavic tongue. I felt like such a non-man in his presence.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    edited January 2012
    deleted owing to posting stupid question
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

The exact same thing happened to me with the exact same padlock. A massive polish guy in Facilities broke through the chain link next to it and extricated my bike. He was at it for about 20 minutes, flexing and heaving and cursing in some Slavic tongue. I felt like such a non-man in his presence.

Interesting - perhaps worth some feedback to Asgard - they're pretty cheap locks so it wouldn't be too hard to change the spec within a similar budget (£450 for the whole shed). Working in the construction industry, I'm quite familiar with Polish swearing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Interesting - perhaps worth some feedback to Asgard - they're pretty cheap locks so it wouldn't be too hard to change the spec within a similar budget (£450 for the whole shed). Working in the construction industry, I'm quite familiar with Polish swearing.

was in tesco once and my missus called across the drinks aisle for me to get some of thet cureva tequila. the lady next to her looked aghast, i think she may have been polish. I know what it means and had a hard time keeping a straight face.

if the lock is an Abloy discus i find it hard to beleive its died so early. we use them on containers behind shrouds and they get a lot of abuse from hamfisted sparks
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • rjsterry
    It's a Securit lock, not Abloy. Apparently there's not a lot to go wrong with them, and the locksmith thought that some foreign body must have got into the lock to jam it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    rjsterry wrote:
    ... some foreign body must have got into the lock to jam it.
    A Pole perhaps? ;-)
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    5381-stp-00308-1.jpg

Around £800 - £850.

ive got one but mines all silver, i thought the gold looked tacky
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One in photo clearly has different writing on it to that one - especially below the centre.....similar looking chinese copy maybe?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    5381-stp-00308-1.jpg

Around £800 - £850.

Just goes to show that, when it comes to wrist watches, one gets what one pays for...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    Here's what's ;eft of the lock. You can see how jammed it was by the twist on the key. The lock shroud is rather scratched, but still perfectly serviceable - may need some paint to prevent rust.
    Image072.jpg
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    Why is your wedding ring on the wrong finger?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Also, you've got very short thumbs.
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    Also, you've got very short thumbs.
    Note the bruising and scrapping on the knuckles.... indicates they may or may not have been dragged on the floor while walking. :lol:

I was going to mention the thumbs but I thought better of it. May be medical or something.
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I was going to mention the thumbs but I thought better of it. May be medical or something.
    I have long dancer's thumbs, so maybe it just looks short to me.
  • rjsterry
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I have long dancer's thumbs, so maybe it just looks short to me.

:lol:

The wedding ring is on the right finger, that's another (non-wedding) ring on my middle finger. Yes, my digits are relatively short, but attached to rather wide palms; not medical, just the way I'm made.
    Pinnacle Monzonite