winter leg wear

dami1193
dami1193 Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi - I've got some pretty good full length cycling tights, and wondered if I could get anything to wear over them to keep the old thighs a bit warmer in these chilly times... The tights are padded, so should I be looking at unpadded cycle shorts to wear over, or something under? My old mountain bike shorts are far too baggy (to wear over) for road riding. All my local bike shops have padded shorts only. Trying to avoid buying a new set of full tights and shorts. Can anyone suggest a solution/what to go for?
Thanks

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Pair of knee warmers next size up from your usual so you can pull em all the way up?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I have some Rapha touring shorts which are ideal for this - they are normally £55 but I picked them up for £40 in the sale, and are ideal for wearing over padded shorts. Rapha describe them as baggies for roadies which is about riht.

Having just checked the website though they don't seem to be there, don't know if they have stopped doing them?
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    This stuff gives me an extra layer when it's really cold/wet:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • Thanks all for your thoughts... Will do a search for the Rapha shorts.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    You might find it easier to look at running shorts, which wont be padded. As you have found, most cycling shorts have the pads, but I dont use pads so I tend to buy running shorts instead.