Forest of Dean conditions

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited February 2012 in Routes
Anyone know what it's like at the moment. I'm going at the weekend to do the XC trails, maybe try the DH stuff too.

Nobby Nics or Mud Xs?

Ta!
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i rode there 2 weeks ago and the blue trail is holding up really well. the red will be a bit more gloopy and slippery as hell on all the roots if it's wet :shock:

not sure about th DH as i only did the bottom section on the way back to the carpark
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    If its wet, the DH can get a bit muddy and slippery but copable :) but the Nobby nics will slip and slide on every root so i would bin them if you want to get on the DH :)
  • bails87
    Thanks, I'm not a huge fan of the NNs tbh, despite all the raving praise they usually get. They have a very definite 'let go' point. No nice slide, just grip-grip-grip-NOTHING! :lol:

But, as long as it won't be a total mud fest, I'll leave them on.
    MTB/CX

• You and I both, I have a nearly new pair in my garage which i rode for about 2 weeks then couldn't stand them and had to take the bloody things off :( horid tyres then.
  • thefod
    thefod Posts: 19
    Hard Frost today
    thanks
    Ant.
    thefod.co.uk - Your guide to Mountain Biking in the Forest of Dean
  • There was a race on the Corkscrew last weekend, and that's a bit chewed up now. As someone already said, the Freeminer trail is also quite slippy after rain - especially the rooty parts (but don't let that put you off). The Verderers' has deterioated a little on a couple of the high sections, but is still perfectly rideable. Other than that everything else I've ridden there recently seems fine, despite the weather.
  • bails87
    Just in case anyone comes back to this....

We rode on Sunday, through the slush and snow, but the trails were in pretty good condition. Like most well surfaced trail centres I guess, they looked like they'd hold up well when it's wet. So just stick to normal tyres rather than mud specifics.
    MTB/CX

• Thanks for this. On holiday in Gloucestershire next week and was planning to head down the FoD. Good to know its still in fairly good nick.