Boardman rider in Tooting 9am Epic Red light fail!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Coming up Tooting High Street towards Tooting Bec station and heading onwards to Balham a guy on grey Boardman road bike overtakes me and behind him, which he couldn't see were two police motorcycle coppers.

We approach the lights, he speeds up but not fast enough. The lights go from amber to red as he passes through. He had time to stop. The police bike follows talks to him for a bit and then pulls him over.

Ha bloody ha!!! Hang your head. SHAME!!!

The irony wasn't that though. Oh no. At the lights I turn to a lady cyclist and said

"If he was just a second quicker he'd have gone through amber".

Her retort

"Well actually, according to article/section blah blah of the highway code you are required to stop when the light is amber".

That right there is why people don't like cyclists.
Who bloody well stops on amber anyway? It does, will and always has meant 'Go through very quickly'. It is an unwritten law and every one who doesn't observe that law should receive a beep of a horn from the car behind until the light phase goes green again.

Back to the irony. We ride straight towards Balham tube, approaching another set of lights, just a crossing not a junction, with the lights firmly on amber. I go through (in accordance to said unwritten law), the vehicle to my right goes through and the lady on my left, the same lady who recited the highway code to me no more than 30 seconds past, goes through the crossing on an amber light.

Her head down laughing at the irony of it.

The hypocrisy of Man.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I stop on amber lights at junctions, unless I feel that to do so would be unsafe.

Was the crossing amber on it's way to red or amber on it's way to green? If it's amber on it's way to green then you can pass though provided there are no pedestrians on the crossing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Asprilla wrote:
    I stop on amber lights at junctions, unless I feel that to do so would be unsafe.

Was the crossing amber on it's way to red or amber on it's way to green? If it's amber on it's way to green then you can pass though provided there are no pedestrians on the crossing.

+1. Unless its red or green I always stop.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Talk about RLJing. Yesterday, at the one crossing I have to make, the light goes red for the road and I'm about to cross when a car in the outside lane nearly takes my front wheel off. I cross and, no sooner am I on the other side but not one but two cars on the inside lane set off through the red light!!! I'm beginning to wonder if I've suddenly gone colourblind or lost my marbles! I was too slack-jawed to take their numbers.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Saw two vans and taxi go through late reds this morning. One at Putney bridge, another at Vauxhall Bridge and the final at Parliament Square. Had to slow to prevent an accident with two of them. This is why people hate drivers... :P
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited January 2012
    Asprilla wrote:

As I recall, the sequence is red -> red and amber -> green -> amber -> red.

ETA: pelican xings go red -> flashing amber -> green -> amber -> red.

You don't get plain amber then green.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    BigMat wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

So you don't stop if it's red? ;)
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DonDaddyD
    I go through if it's amber or green. It's flashing amber I'm unsure about. I'm sure there is a book or internet page to clarify things for me.

If I'm in the car I'm less likely to go through amber.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    So all you amber gamblers use your judgement to determine if its safe to go through amber lights then? /troll
  • asprilla
    Greg66 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yeah, but I didn't know if DDD was being entirely accurate in his description, hence the question.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I go through if it's amber or green. It's flashing amber I'm unsure about. I'm sure there is a book or internet page to clarify things for me.

Solid amber = the lights are about to turn red, stop unless doing so is likely to cause a collision.

flsahing amber = the lights are about to turn green, so go if it's clear.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    Asprilla wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yeah, but I didn't know if DDD was being entirely accurate in his description, hence the question.

It seems I was. :mrgreen:
    Food Chain number = 4

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    For me it depends what's involved in stopping on amber. If it's going to be an emergency stop type thing and I can clear the junction comfortably then I'll go through. If I've plenty of time to stop then I will.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    the jumping of lights drives me nuts over here. lights go green, amber, red, green. People run the amber all the time so to stop accidents from amber gamblers, we have lights that have all traffic stopped for 2 seconds to allow those to get through. Everyone knows this so there is no real need to stop at the first sight of red.

In 50 years traffic lights in toronto will just be permanently red.
    FCN 12
  • bails87
    Or permanantly amber (a la The Simpsons), gets everyone through the junction quicker :wink:
    MTB/CX

• ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    MrChuck wrote:
    For me it depends what's involved in stopping on amber. If it's going to be an emergency stop type thing and I can clear the junction comfortably then I'll go through. If I've plenty of time to stop then I will.
    +1 ... but I also consider how busy the road is: will the revving white van behind me expect me (neah, permit me) to brake?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Greg66 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

You might on a toucan or puffin crossing, no flashing amber on them. I need to check though as it might be a red and amber.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Asprilla wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

So you don't stop if it's red? ;)

That was the joke. I've had better. Wanted to see if I could ignite yet another 20+ page debate about RLJ (which I will have nothing further to do with!) :lol:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yeah - doesn't amber mean "Prepare to take to the pavement"? :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Anyone noticed how much better the traffic flows when the lights aren't working?
    exercise.png
  • notsoblue
    TheStone wrote:
    Anyone noticed how much better the traffic flows when the lights aren't working?
    Yeah, and people actually pay attention.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You mean like the Highway Code, which you of course read when you learnt to drive, no? I am disappoint.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    It's flashing amber I'm unsure about.
    Signal-controlled crossings

Pelican crossings. These are signal-controlled crossings where flashing amber follows the red ‘Stop’ light. You MUST stop when the red light shows. When the amber light is flashing, you MUST give way to any pedestrians on the crossing. If the amber light is flashing and there are no pedestrians on the crossing, you may proceed with caution.

Sketchley wrote:
    You might on a toucan or puffin crossing, no flashing amber on them. I need to check though as it might be a red and amber.

Toucan, puffin and equestrian crossings. These are similar to pelican crossings, but there is no flashing amber phase; the light sequence for traffic at these three crossings is the same as at traffic lights. If the signal-controlled crossing is not working, proceed with extreme caution.

Shurely the correct rubric is:

Green (if in motion) - fly through without a care in the world at speed limit + 20.
    Amber - emergency "FLOOR IT" protocols are authorised. Temporary excess of up to 50 over the speed limit is authorised.
    Red (first five second) - As amber, but with added urgency and vigilance (for safety, obv).
    Red (after first five second) - Stop, allow brake fluid to cool. Check texts and select new track from Clarkson's Driving Tunes twin CD.
    Red and amber - engage gear, depress brake, rev to min 5000 rpm, soak up smell of burning rubber.
    Green (from standstill) - Release brake, bury throttle and it's Murray Walker shouting "IT'S GO GO GO !" in your ears
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I was asked traffic light sequence on my test. went through from red to green . examiner then asked what came after green . I replied "dunno usually fecked off by then" :)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    the amber is just your invite to get some extra sprint training in if you want!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Highway Code - amber = proceed with caution
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Amber = Ah go on then, just 3 more.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    Highway Code - amber = proceed with caution
    Is that an amber that's turning to red or an amber that's about to go green?
    MTB/CX