Training with roadrash

DavidJB
DavidJB Posts: 2,019
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Hello,

Was in a crash in a race last weekend and got some road rash on my upper right thigh which has got a bit infected but I've got some anti-biotic's which I am taking now and it appears to be calming down and maybe starting to scab over. I'd like to get back to training later this week but bit worried about aggravating it with sweat and stuff going in it?

I have a bandage on it atm but should I have one on under my lycra when I ride (its taped on) and I change it twice a day? At what point would you start to train with it after it scabs?

Thanks

David

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I wouldn't've taken any time off.
    I would've used hydrocolloid covers on it rather than bandages.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I fear that there is an elemen tof MTFU in this....Hope you re all better soon though.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DavidJB
    ddraver wrote:
    I fear that there is an elemen tof MTFU in this....Hope you re all better soon though.

Haha I was expecting some MTFU comments ;)
  • DavidJB
    jibberjim wrote:
    I wouldn't've taken any time off.
    I would've used hydrocolloid covers on it rather than bandages.

Thanks...didn't know about hydrocolloid covers will nip down to town and get some now :)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,592
    DavidJB wrote:
    Thanks...didn't know about hydrocolloid covers will nip down to town and get some now :)
    Make sure you get a size that's a good inch wider all round than the wound, as they will need to hold in the fluid that's produced - otherwise you'll end up with sticky leakage down your leg and the possibility of infection entering. But make sure the wound is really clean first, obviously, as otherwise you'll only trap in the bugs in a nice warm moist environment.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    ddraver wrote:

Don't be too harsh on him, he's young. It was only last month that he was training with nappy rash.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Don't be too harsh on him, he's young. It was only last month that he was training with nappy rash.

Hehe Nappy Rashers

405354_10150553392006170_33298181169_8890420_98042588_n.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • DavidJB
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

:o I wish.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    who is this Roadrash guy and what is his Palmares?
  • Redhog14 wrote:

Isnt he hungarian like Ghoulash, Fagash and Bumlash. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    After a small op. recently I was asked to keep the wound soft by putting vaseline on the dressing. Something that was never advocated some time ago. But if I ever had a road rash I would keep it soft with Valderma or Savlon and a plastic dressing. It was always easy to keep it clean under the shower. The problem with road burn scabs is they can be irritating and aren't very flexible. I do think they heal better and more quickly if the inflammation is reduced with healing cream on them. I also took asprin but that's up to you.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    It really shouldn't be a problem, you only have to watch a pro race to see riders racing whilst wrapped up like Tutankhamun. Keep it covered, keep it clean and change the dressing after your ride and you should be fine.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,592
    Pross wrote:
    Keep it covered, keep it clean and change the dressing after your ride and you should be fine.
    ... and shave the area (if not already shaved) before applying the dressing so the changing of the dressing isn't torture. I learnt the hard (stupid) way.
  • I thought this was going to be a thread about playing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bv_lndn9pw

whilst on the turbo. I'm a bit disappointed.
  • Aggieboy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Hehe Nappy Rashers

405354_10150553392006170_33298181169_8890420_98042588_n.jpg
    Who the F*** makes a sausagemeat baby....second thoughts I don't want to know
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Redhog14 wrote:

Isnt he hungarian like Ghoulash, Fagash and Bumlash. :D

What about Rum, Sodomy and The Lash, the Jamican, Arab and Hungarian dudes from the 80's..might have been on the Raleigh Ti team I think.