How do you train for long distance on a cr@ppy bike

Will Nunez
Will Nunez Posts: 203
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Ive been challenged to do the Manchester Blackpool cycle ride on this:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6810_n.jpg either that or a pink BMX

Just to make it more fun I have to cycle to the start, so all in 110 miles for me. Did it last year on a road bike no problem.

But something tells me this will hurt a whole lot more and last an awful lot longer. Any genuine tips to avoid doing myself an injury.

Im reluctant to take up weekend ride time actually practising on the thing, but think, I have to get my legs used to the saddle, the upright position, the fact that my seat will take the weight with none on my arms.
Current Stock:
Carrera Vanquish '08
Orbea Onix T105 '11
Carrera Fury '07

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Do the miles at night so no one can see you. Or do it on a turbo trainer. Or in fancy dress all the time so if anyone does say anything you can just say that you're on a charity ride.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Adjust the bike to suit you and fit your saddle & pedals?

Maintenance - Make sure it is running as good as possible and won't break.

Tyres & pressure.

Wear good bib shorts & mitts. Along with other clothes too :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Good idea re pedals and seats, although something tells me iwouldnt want to be clipped in!!!! Ive had a car park ride and they dont corner well ;-)!!

Although the reach is really short. My biggest worry is back ache as my bum will take the weight for 10 hours, maybe a race seat wouldnt be a good idea after all as they assume a lower position and a distribution of weight between bars and seat. Maybe wide springy seat and lots of inner thigh vaseline
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Oh god, do it on the bmx.

Seriously, riding a trike is murder on the upper body because you're always fighting the camber.
  • So ive not just got back ache to look forward to? BMX has been bagsied by a partner in crime.Hoping we'll do swapsies along route.

So would you guys do practice runs on it or just do your usual pedalling on your usual bike and see the challenge as something you need to be fit for but theres little prep other than a few test runsof5-10 miles to ensure a reasonable damage limitation set up.
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    On the downhills, can you not just stand in the rear carrier and give your back a rest? :wink:
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Fill the basket with bricks for training? The actual ride will feel a lot lighter then!!

Race saddle is a no-no - its not designed to be ridden in a sit up n beg position.
  • some guy did it on a tall bike, I remember chatting to him at the golf course feed station - you're gonna be knackered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbGI1QlqkM
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Im budgeting on 10mph setting off from Lytham 3am, 45 miles to old trafford. Leave there at 8:30, blackpool by 3pm. torch the bike at 3:30pm.

The more I think about it the more I think the only way is to harden my arse and back and do a couple of long runs and ensure 10mph is feasible. 60 mile runs on a road bike isnt enough prep
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Fill the basket with a plentiful supply of rum and fruitcake - the rum will help dull the pain/shame and the cake will sustain you through what is obviously going to be a long, uncomfortable ride :)

You can't polish a turd - no matter how much you train you're not going to be quick on that thing so why not make the experience as enjoyable (alcohol fueled) as possible? LOL
  • convert it to drops, that will move you're weight forward or does it have to be standard trim?
  • Did think about tha shiftes t but I've then got to find shifters that work. its also a seriously short reach. ashas been pointed out its a turd that cant be polished
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I reckon your estimated average is pretty optimistic. You ought to do a trial 10 miles to see how you get on. I bet you are going to be really sore in places you didn't think you had.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Tilt the bars forward so they are further away and lower down.
    Try a few short runs to see what the most comfortable position is.
    By most comfortable I mean least uncomfortable. :wink:
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • At least if they send us through hague hall you won,t fall off under the trees
  • Mis-leading title to the thread, it's actually a TRIKE.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Fit aero bars so you can lean further forward for extra leverage. Plus, it'll look priceless.
  • @Bugsrabbit, ill be the first off, on corners it leans the wrong way, I struggle to keep 3 wheels on the road even at slow speeds!!

Sorry Frank I stand corrected!

hstiles, thats not a bad idea!!
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Make sure you wear an aero helmet, skinsuit and bright yellow overshoes to complete the look.
  • Already been told im Robin while Batman rides a pink BMX. So some yellow, but red and green too. Aero helmet? Nah....just a super hero eye mask. Will skip cape, may get tangled in chain
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07