[Hivemind] Best Rear Lights

2»

Comments

• vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    symo wrote:
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Is it too late to suggest Cateye LD1100?
    Lasts 2 weeks on 2x AA rechargeables (20 hours or so), bright from all angles but not dazzling.

Mine lives on my mountain bike all year round, probably 100 winter commuting days per year and its lasted 6 years so far (with mudguards).
    +1 for this under-rated light.

Agree. Have had one on my hack for years. The rubber lugs over the switches seem to have worked themselves halfway out, but it's still going strong. Certainly attention grabbing but, in London traffic, the big bright single solid beam lights stand out best (eg District, Sheild, Flare, etc).
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Another vote for the Cateye 1100. Had mine for years and still going strong. Bright on all sides with 10 LEDs, for of them facing to the side.
  • vermin
    Niterider CherryBomb might be worth a look too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    vermin wrote:
    I run a District as the main light and a Moon Shield as backup. Both emit huge amounts of light and have been used in pretty horrid weather. I agree with comments that the USB plug on the Moon seems to be adequate. I've no idea about battery life because I just take the precaution of plugging the Moon into my work PC during the day and the Hope into the mains at night (I have to, because my Hope Vision 2 front light runs off the same battery and the two of them together pretty much flatten it within 2 hours on full beam).

For convenience, the Moon really is fantastic. From behind, the light appears very similar to the Flare to me, but it's cheaper and easier to keep charged up. It's very well built too, although the clip on the back looks a little flimsy.

Not to say that the Flare isn't also excellent, probably.

Ah yes, I remember having my retinas etched by that on Friday night.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • vermin
    rjsterry wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    I run a District as the main light and a Moon Shield as backup. Both emit huge amounts of light and have been used in pretty horrid weather. I agree with comments that the USB plug on the Moon seems to be adequate. I've no idea about battery life because I just take the precaution of plugging the Moon into my work PC during the day and the Hope into the mains at night (I have to, because my Hope Vision 2 front light runs off the same battery and the two of them together pretty much flatten it within 2 hours on full beam).

For convenience, the Moon really is fantastic. From behind, the light appears very similar to the Flare to me, but it's cheaper and easier to keep charged up. It's very well built too, although the clip on the back looks a little flimsy.

Not to say that the Flare isn't also excellent, probably.

Ah yes, I remember having my retinas etched by that on Friday night.

True, they won't win you any friends :oops:. I try (with, it seems, limited success) to angle both lights downwards for that very reason.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Asprilla wrote:
    Exposure Flare.

No question the best rear lights available in that price bracket.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ah, I'm pretty good at picking out other District riders [/light geek] you should [literally] be a bit easier to spot on Embankment now!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ok, so I couldn't get out at lunchtime to go to a proper bike shop and ended up in Evans where they only had the Exposure Flare in stock.

Easy to fit, really nice and bright. Its a bit of a pain to turn on and off though isn't it?
  • vermin
    iPete wrote:
    Ah, I'm pretty good at picking out other District riders [/light geek] you should [literally] be a bit easier to spot on Embankment now!

Ha! Yes, if you're not blinded by my pink kit!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    Is it too late to suggest Cateye LD1100?
    Lasts 2 weeks on 2x AA rechargeables (20 hours or so), bright from all angles but not dazzling.

Mine lives on my mountain bike all year round, probably 100 winter commuting days per year and its lasted 6 years so far (with mudguards).
    Another Cateye LD1100 fan here - mine has performed faultlessly for over 2 years on the commuter hack. Plenty bright enough and a good variety of flashing patterns and 2 separate circuits so you can have (say) one on continuous and one flashing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • and mine is screwed onto my rack - never leaves the bike
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I have a Lunar R1 an Lunar R2 on the rear

i did have a Astrium but it snapped off its mounts when i hit a pot hole

the Lunars have so far been ok, ive been using them since about September
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I use the cateye TL-LD1100 and TL-LD610, plus another old cateye one. I see they are in the archived section of the cateye website so maybe not being produced anymore? Never had any problems with waterproofing, only issues have been that after a few years the little release tab on the fittings holding them to the bike has broken on a few and the light has fallen onto the road, even then you can hold them together with tape. I have a nice collection of fittings for chainstays, seat posts etc so no problem swapping around bikes.
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    iPete wrote:
    Do the Ay Ups have a rear that shares the same battery etc?

Ay Ups are a pair of lights and you can turn them independently, so you can have one facing forward and one facing backward (which is only useful if you've got them on your helmet). They come with red covers so you can use them as rear lights.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Just got an Exposure Flare and I'm impressed by it!

Ribble are doing them for £27 with free postage when you spend over £30, but alas they are not in Stock so I just went to Evans.

I need to get a charger/battery which is the only annoying thing.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    and mine is screwed onto my rack - never leaves the bike

Yes I bought the rack mount too, well worth it, mind you it only comes off if the Day one ventures into town and is left in public.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Yes my crappy rear light broke off tonight so I think I'm in the market for an LD1100 or an Exposure Flare then!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!