Strange email from LBS regarding cranks on my Bionicon

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
We've tried to fit Shimano SLX cranks to this model in the past, but the Shimano Hollowtech 2 BB is too narrow to work with the suspension system.

Basically i was looking to take off the GXP and Truvativ cranks and fit an SLX/XT/Shimano set of cranks...

Anyone work anything out in what he's saying and what he could possibly mean ?

IMG_0309.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ask them. may be with some 2 ring 10spd cranks but as the spacing is the same I am not sure.

chainline are given as different but that is only the way Sram Shimano measure differently.

Personally I would use as is untill you have to change anything.

I have (as do others) GXP setups that last as well as HT2.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    only issue with that is that my selling value of the Crankset is at it's maximum now as unused... if i sell when used and the BB has thrown in the towel, then the value of the cranks drops to best part of nothing. SO if i'm going to maximise my return then it would be easier to do it now.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    weeksy59 wrote:
    only issue with that is that my selling value of the Crankset is at it's maximum now as unused... if i sell when used and the BB has thrown in the towel, then the value of the cranks drops to best part of nothing. SO if i'm going to maximise my return then it would be easier to do it now.
    but when the BB is gone fit a better one that works with Sram/Shim. so if it lasts as well as it could you have saved money and you can pic what ever crank fitting you like.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    Again, not sure that really works out that much better financically.

The only ones i can find are Hope that do a GXP conversion, the Hope BB is £65, the converters £8.

Or something like the Ceramic BB from Superstar at £50. (unknown as no reviews as to them being any longer lasting).

I've got a new Shimano BB at home, so just need the cranks/rings...
  • weeksy59
    I believe your bike has an 83mm BB and the SLX only do 68/73mm BB width, so I think that could be your problem
    Quote above from STW forum..

Interesting.... what would my options be if that were the case ?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The same as suggested on STW ;-)

Chainset with 83mm BB - Saint etc.
  • weeksy59
    LOL i like to ask in both places... although in all honesty, STW is my forum of choice... BR seems to have gone very quiet since the upgrade.