how much fater is bunch riding than solo?

mtbboy101
mtbboy101 Posts: 62
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I'm going to start going out with a local club, and just wondering about which of their rides to join, social or hard ride.

To help me decide I'd be interested on the collective advice on how much faster a bunch goes than a solo rider.

Cheers

M

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    Lots of variables, but my guesstimate would be that if you can ride solo at 15mph, you'd be comfortable in a 17-18mph group, and working hard (or dropping off) a 20mph group - bearing in mind with the latter, if you're in a hilly area, that the group won't be dawdling up the inclines to keep up a 20mph average.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Depends on the bunch really. Many clubs will do around an 18mph average i'd say. I can ride faster than that alone when fit but its much easier in a group and most wont go blowing the newbies out - especially over winter. Just be honest about your ability and be ready to listen and learn about group riding - and most clubs will go out of their way to help you enjoy it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928
    Depends on the bunch really. Many clubs will do around an 18mph average i'd say. I can ride faster than that alone when fit but its much easier in a group and most wont go blowing the newbies out - especially over winter. Just be honest about your ability and be ready to listen and learn about group riding - and most clubs will go out of their way to help you enjoy it.
    Indeed, though if the club you're looking at has a 'hard' group, that group might be more racing-inclined and less likely to hang around - so a run with the social group might be safer. Though, if you want a challenge, and don't mind dropping off if you can't keep up, the worst that can happen is that you make your own way home ... which, if you're used to solo riding, won't be a new experience.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    When you're with a group, you can hold a much faster pace for longer due to firstly the front man taking the wind, and secondly because you don't want to show yourself up

It makes a difference, but only if people work together well, and you don't leave a big gap between yourself and the chap in front.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If you choose the 'faster' group then be prepared for riding at what Coggan describes as a 'spirited' group ride.
    You will be riding at tempo, Level 3.. so a fair bit of effort should be needed. It'll soon test if you have enough base fitness.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Unquestionably go out with the social group first, unless you're really good and know the conventions of the ride and are absolutely confident in fixing mechanicals, right nutrition etc.

Yes, the club probably won't abandon you somewhere if you can't do all the above things, but they'll think you rude and a bit of a big headed idiot when you harm their ride for your own unwillingness to risk one ride which is a bit easier than you'd like.

And then once you're on the social ride you can ask the people on it how the harder one is.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Even if you are pretty fit and can hold 18-20 mph solo go out with a social/slower group first if you haven't had experience of group riding( and I don't mean tagging on to various groups on a sportive) Group riding really works well if everyone follows the same club rules and signals, holds the right lines and switches front men in the same way, keeping small gaps and no half wheeling. The best clubs will have several groups of different abilities which allow you to progress as you get fitter, only choose a club that has a policy of not leaving people behind in the lower groups.
  • Thanks all for the tips and feedback, food for thought :)