difference between mountain biking and road biking

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ddraver wrote:
    (damn you bails!)
    :lol:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the jersey thing. Can't wear yellow, that's fraud! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's common sense though :-)
  • bails87
    *looks at njee's avatar*

SCUM!!!!

:lol:
    MTB/CX

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    There may well be dickheads in both camps, but it looks like the roadies dont have a mental age of a 14 year old, unlike some of the mtbers who seem to enjoy using playground homophobia as an attempt at humour.
  • njee20
    *looks at njee's avatar*

Team kit innit, makes it ok
    222056_195241620517328_143937835647707_456075_239655_n.jpg
  • bails87
    styxd wrote:
    There may well be dickheads in both camps, but it looks like the roadies dont have a mental age of a 14 year old, unlike some of the mtbers who seem to enjoy using playground homophobia as an attempt at humour.
    "Some". And it's your own fault for venturing into the CC..... :wink:
    MTB/CX

• njee20
    There's a lot of playground homophobia here though, in MTB General!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    njee20 wrote:

You're so gay.
  • bails87
    njee20 wrote:
    Oh yeah, in this very thread, if I remember correctly. :roll:

But I was just pointing out to stxyd that it's very much 'some' people.
    MTB/CX

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    styxd wrote:
    There may well be dickheads in both camps, but it looks like the roadies dont have a mental age of a 14 year old.
    obviously far too complex for you to understand :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • chez_m356 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    There may well be dickheads in both camps, but it looks like the roadies dont have a mental age of a 14 year old.
    obviously far too complex for you to understand :D

Roadies i've met in real life do, riding side by side on duel carriage because they can, not because it's safe to do so.

I'd on the scheme of this there is gernally an even number of idiots in all sports, just seems like most like football, but thats because so many people like football.
  • njee20
    What are these "duel carriages" of which you speak? Sound like vehicles used for racing! Sounds fun.
    Roadies i've met in real life do, riding side by side on duel carriage because they can, not because it's safe to do so.

Not sure how that shows a level of mental aptitude on par with saying their knobbly-tyred compatriots are homosexual, but ok...

They are also fully entitled to ride two-abreast, quite whether it's sensible is something else! Still, it's only gonna be them who gets killed!
  • And the driver who has to live with the accidentally seeing someone in lycra splattered over there bonet :(

Sorry carriageway (As i said before the spell checker at work is Danish does some funny crap if i do not pay attention) But you guys are making a gross generalisation, I mean I could say all football fans are thugs and hooligans, but it's far from true, most are pretty normal people except for the fact they actually like a game where people lie down and cry when someone breaths down there back :p
  • njee20
    It was dual/duel I was picking up on more ;-)
    And the driver who has to live with the accidentally seeing someone in lycra splattered over there bonet

Surely 2 cyclists are far more obvious than one? If a driver hits two cyclists either they're a psycho and deserve to be haunted by it, or they didn't see them, in which case seeing one would be even less likely, but would have a similar outcome?

This is a circular argument, but my £0.02... Whilst there are tossers in all walks of life the petty whining and bitching about 'the other side' is pretty well unique to folk who call themselves mountain bikers. Genuinely - go and search the road forum for threads about "mountain bikers not saying hello" (many don't, I had one just stare at me blankly from 5 feet away when I said hello whilst on my MTB a few weeks ago, I just thought him odd and got on with my ride), there's thousands of similar threads here.

You'll probably struggle to find people saying "gay bikes" in reference to MTBs either.
  • bails87
    Surely 2 cyclists are far more obvious than one? If a driver hits two cyclists either they're a psycho and deserve to be haunted by it, or they didn't see them, in which case seeing one would be even less likely, but would have a similar outcome?
    Agreed, if you're on a dual carriageway (driving) and you're overtaking someone who's in lane 1 then you should be in lane 2. Always. So whether the cyclists are in single file or doubled up makes no difference, because you should always be in the other lane.
    MTB/CX

• njee20 wrote:

Halt die schwanzlecker.

:D Best way to get past spelling blocks, speak another langauge :)
  • bails87 wrote:
    Agreed, if you're on a dual carriageway (driving) and you're overtaking someone who's in lane 1 then you should be in lane 2. Always. So whether the cyclists are in single file or doubled up makes no difference, because you should always be in the other lane.

yeh but the trick is they don't keep it on duel carriage ways, they do it plenty on single lane too.

And Njee, check on here there have been plenty of threads about ignorant roadies not waving and so on too. i say again your grosely generalising, I mean the bikeradar forum is extremely childish and not really a reasonable statiscal test :) i have encountered more unpleasent roadies they have mtbers, but this could be because ima mtber and only generally ride off road, as i personally think cycling ont he road is very very very dangerous.
  • njee20
    yeh but the trick is they don't keep it on duel carriage ways, they do it plenty on single lane too.

Where they still have just as much right to - in fact it's advised by the Highway Code to avoid dangerous overtaking. That's a whole other argument though.
    And Njee, check on here there have been plenty of threads about ignorant roadies not waving and so on too.

That's my point - find me a thread in the road forum about mountain bikers not saying hello. They don't, but there aren't dozens of threads with people 'bothered' by it.
  • I can't believe I've wasted several minutes of my life reading some of the childish comments on here. Do some people really believe riding a road bike is gay??? FFS...

A road bike would be a lot quicker & would be comfortable if the size is correct. It will take a bit of getting used to though. I hate riding a MTB on the road - it is horrible & hard work even with slicks.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • El Zomba wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Nail. Head.

You'll find people on road bikes are also far less judgemental about what people ride, or wear, and don't start myriad "the mountain biker didn't say hello to me, so I cried" threads, all unique quirks of 'mountain bikers' rather than 'people who enjoy riding bikes'.

At least I don't shave my legs like a girly-girl though :wink:

While the insults between roadies and MTB'ers tend to lean more towards banter, there's always a few that'll take it too far. It's everywhere. Every sport has it's array of elitist nitwits with a superiority complex, aimed both inward and outward. The same MTB'ers who sneer at Roadies are probably the same sort who sneer at anyone who rides a bike that cost less than two grand. Same with roadies who laugh at anyone who isn't fitted out with full Dura-Ace. The diciplines may differ, but the arseholes remain universal.

As far as bike choice goes, if the route is on a road, use a road bike. You don't use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. That said, if you don't have access to a road bike, no one should look down on you for using a mountain bike instead.

Big pat on the back for this poster I ride both Road & MTB and can say without exception that Roadies are GAY and MTB Rules :lol::lol::lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • This threads gone a bit haywire ain't it! :?

Back to the original point, I live just outside Blackpool and see the riders passing through on this ride. There's people riding all sorts of bikes, some real bargain basement pieces of cr4p and little kids on "My First Bike" type things too, so you should be capable of doing the distance on an MTB. A set of fast rolling tyres would be a bonus though.

It's a bloody nightmare for drivers as the roads aren't closed and there's cyclists all over the shop, but it's a charity fun ride so a bit of patience is called for.
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Stu Coops wrote:
    El Zomba wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    Nail. Head.

You'll find people on road bikes are also far less judgemental about what people ride, or wear, and don't start myriad "the mountain biker didn't say hello to me, so I cried" threads, all unique quirks of 'mountain bikers' rather than 'people who enjoy riding bikes'.

At least I don't shave my legs like a girly-girl though :wink:

While the insults between roadies and MTB'ers tend to lean more towards banter, there's always a few that'll take it too far. It's everywhere. Every sport has it's array of elitist nitwits with a superiority complex, aimed both inward and outward. The same MTB'ers who sneer at Roadies are probably the same sort who sneer at anyone who rides a bike that cost less than two grand. Same with roadies who laugh at anyone who isn't fitted out with full Dura-Ace. The diciplines may differ, but the arseholes remain universal.

As far as bike choice goes, if the route is on a road, use a road bike. You don't use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. That said, if you don't have access to a road bike, no one should look down on you for using a mountain bike instead.

Big pat on the back for this poster I ride both Road & MTB and can say without exception that Roadies are GAY and MTB Rules :lol::lol::lol:

Oh man, I hope for your sake that :lol::lol::lol: is a denotation of sarcasm.
  • MMMM never gave that one much thought...LOL
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i seem to have miss understood here,, am i missing something :oops: :oops: :oops:
    The word “gay” seems to have its origins around the 12th century in England, derived from the Old French word ‘gai’, which in turn was probably derived from a Germanic word, though that isn’t completely known. The word’s original meaning meant something to the effect of “joyful”, “carefree”, “full of mirth”, or “bright and showy”.

i ride my gay bike "joyful" at being out in the fresh air, out keeping fit as the mile go by. "carefree" ignoring people on mtbs who may mistakenly wave at me, riding along without a care in the world. "bright and showy" in my day glo yellow jacket for all to see...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I would like to ask what the problem with a road bike being gay is?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ddraver wrote:
    I would like to ask what the problem with a road bike being gay is?
    I asked my road bike whether it was gay. Told me to mind my own farking business.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Duki
    Duki Posts: 53
    I have taken part in the Manchester- Blackpool for more years than I care to remember and always on a road bike but I have seen all sorts of bikes being used from Mono cycles to a bike made for eight. The first time one of my mates did it he rode on a hardtail mountain bike with off road tyres and a knackered rear derailleur. He stiil kept up with me. Mind you I am not the slenderist of chaps nor the fittest.

Personally if it's only for the one ride I would invest is a pair of slicks for your mountain bike.

I own and use both a mountain bike and a road bike. I use my road bike when I feel like a ride on the roads, usually in the nice weather, for a calm and de-stressing ride and my mountain bike when I feel like going off road and having a bit of fun and excitement and for riding to work when the weather is poo (I don't like getting my road bike wet.).

My first introduction into cycling proper, as opposed to just mucking about as a kid, was through road riding and as such it is still my first love. I treat my road bike like a thoroughbred race horse. It's a custom bike I built up myself not a very expensive off the shelf model, just a 2nd hand ally frame Campag drive train and Ksyrium wheels.

My mountain bike a Boardman FS Pro cost far more and although treated with care and attention, is my general work horse. Used almost every day. My son got me into riding off road proper and I love it. I'm crap at it but it's a great buzz and good fun.

For me that's what cycling is all about, fun and freedom. I don't take any aspect of it too seriously I just want to enjoy myself. I don't class myself as either a roadie or mountain biker, I'm just a cyclist..........Hetro.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I completed a 166 mile round trip sponsored ride around Kent last year on my (rigid) Marin Bear Valley which is equipped with Marathons.

The main reasons I use this bike rather than buy a road bike are 1) an MTB equipped with slicks is more robust than a road bike - less worries about going down potholes, easy to use across rough tracks not just tarmac, so no need to stick to roads (handy on my commute)

2) I wouldn't get value for money out of buying a road bike, as it wouldn't get used,

and 3) I don't like wearing lycra (personal choice, not saying it's wrong - or gay!)

I guess the main disadvantage is that it runs more slowly, but I just feel happier on something that doesn't feel like it could snap in two as soon as I roll over a twig.

As far as MTBers vs roadies - I was out on my Marin on Sunday, I spoke to two roadies (one of them asked me if I was ok when I stopped to look at my map) and then saw a guy on a road bike riding with a guy on a mtb bike. I said hello to them, and they both ignored me. Draw your own conclusions, but it depends on the person, not the bike they're on as to whether they'll talk to you or not.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Roadies generally look grumpy in much the same way as runners, It's just not a pleasurable pursuit, but it's nice when it stops. Mountain biking is however, a much more enjoyable pastime.

I've done roady riding and running, and will continue to, but it's more of a means to an end for me anyway.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • I belong to a Road and MTB club and to be honest it's more about the individual rider as in the road club I've been with for the last ten years there are some right stuck up D***heads who think they are better than not just MTBr's but other Roadies too but most of the other down to earth riders are sound boys and girls.

There is also a distinct gap between Roadies who race and Roadies who don't as the one's that race" minority i'm talking about by the way" just think they are pro riders who by the way are mostly 4th and 3rd cat riders all the gear no idea and I speak from experience after ten years of road racing then you got ya E/1/2 riders who will seperate themselves from 3rd and 4th cat riders in the same club and won't associate withem until they got a 2 on there license absolutely pathetic.

There is definately a snobbery that goes on with Road clubs that I have not seen in MTB clubs and yeh you could argue that MTB is more sociable than competitive but there is also a lot of events and racing that goes on too but you do not get the snobbery.

The MTB club i'm with now have some quality riders "not me by the way" but they are more than happy to correct your mistakes and throw advice your way if you want it and that's the way all cycling should be not this pathetic heirarchy and that is the difference between MTB and Road it's not the discipline just the small minded D***heads that ride with some of these clubs FACT Rant Over