Newbie Front Fork Maintainence tips

mark_jwedge
mark_jwedge Posts: 30
edited February 2012 in MTB beginners
I have a GT aggressor XC 2 which has a SR Suntour XCR front fork. When I first got into off roading just under a year ago I had problems with the fork going completely rigid even thought it wasn't locked. This was put down to a lack of lubrication and some water getting in through the seals. Since then I have been using finish line chain lube on the stanchions (on the advice of someone on this forum) and from time to time turn the bike upside down and pump the fork to pump some of the dirty water out of it (again on the advice of someone on the forum). However the problem does still happen from time to time especially when riding in the cold and wet, presumably because the rain washed the lube off?

I'm wandering should I get some of those 'socks' to put over the stanchions to stop the water and stuff getting into the forks? Is chain lube the best thing to use on the stanchions or should I use teflon grease? Also when should I apply the lube, before a ride or after I clean the bike post ride? Or a bit of both as sometimes I can not manage to get out for a few weeks so the lube I applied after I clean the bike has dried.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Problem with the socks is you fit them and then forget about regular cleaning, maintenance.

After every ride spray some Fork Juice on the stantions to keep them clean, clean, spray, pump fork, wipe, spray. you will be surprised at how much gunk comes off the stantions.

download the service manual and remove the lowers every couple of months regrease etc and they will last.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    Sorry to hijack :-) but can anyone recommend a specific fork lube??
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what ever lube is in your fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dry664
    Its a 2011 SID that I got from On One. Any suggestions?
  • 1mancity2
    dry664 wrote:
    Its a 2011 SID that I got from On One. Any suggestions?

Fork juice for the external stantion.
  • dry664
    Thanks! :roll:
  • 1mancity2
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have a GT aggressor XC 2 which has a SR Suntour XCR front fork

No amount of maintenance will help this fork, it's a terrible fork & pretty unreliable. They usually don't last long before they seize. Let it die & replace it
  • [/quote]No amount of maintenance will help this fork, it's a terrible fork & pretty unreliable. They usually don't last long before they seize. Let it die & replace it[/quote]

I am definitely coming round to that opinion. This is my first ever mountain bike and it has served me well to cut my teeth over the last year but definitely noticing the limitations of the fork now i.e. how prone it is to go rigid, the initial stiction preventing it from tracking small bumps in the trail and it's general pogo stick like nature (particularly on the rooty parts of the forest of dean or bumpy sections at cannock chase)! Have just purchased a can of fork juice based on advice from above to keep it ticking over as best as poss in the short term but will keep my eye out for an upgrade. Maybe some rock shox Reba or torras?????
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I recently went from RST Deuce to Reba. Don't know where the Deuce sits compared to your Suntour fork (mechanically I had no problems with it, but it weighed a ton and performed like the basic fork that it is). Even though I haven't ridden it that much yet I can say that the difference is absolutely huge.

Got mine from Merlin for £225, not sure if they're still that cheap.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Recon Gold RL or Reba Dual Air would be an enormous improvement, especially if you ride on particularly rooty trails. Tora's are ok & a big improvement but it won't be too long before your wanting to upgrade again. I ride the Forest Of Dean downhill trails on my Giant Reign X & my Rockshox Lyriks struggle to keep up on those trails, fortunately I can just replace the damper with a higher spec mission control one.
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160

I'm wandering should I get some of those 'socks' to put over the stanchions to stop the water and stuff getting into the forks? Is chain lube the best thing to use on the stanchions or should I use teflon grease?

Wouldn't worry about the stanchions; if water is coming out of them, then its time you stripped the fork, cleaned it out, and regreased the internals. Download the service manual.