More Fox suspension probs!

bigdavevw
bigdavevw Posts: 213
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i have an Orange ST4 s with a Fox F120 fork (open Bath) and a boost valve rp23 on the rear.

I am getting pretty pissed off with Fox and their crappy durability. So this is as much a rant as it is seeking info/advice.

Right, i bought the bike new in Feb 2011, after 2 months the shock had to be sent back to MOJO as it was cavitated. The shock was repaired under warranty. A couple of days ago i noticed that the shock slider is just starting to get lines on it, so will need replaced soon. I have serviced the shock twice since it came back from MOJO, using the right fluid.

I rang them today and explained the situation and they called that "wear and tear". I haven,t even used the bike that much, i ride my road bike to work, dont ride in the rain, and i race on my hardtail so it,s not like it has had a hard life. So, do i just bit the bullet and buy a new fork slider every year? That is f*cking ridiculous!!

Also, the bushes have have decided they want to kick the bucket too. Fair enough tho, the stanchions have just started to wear (despite servicing) so this might have something to do with that. Do they need replaced every year too?

If anyone can give me some advice that would be great. Think i,ll be going back to rockshox if it means i have to spend hundreds of pounds a year just to keep them running the way they should.

dave :evil:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What have you been doing with them? Not normal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    What have you been doing with them? Not normal.

This. How do you clean/maintain them between your self servicing?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What are these 'lines'? Also how bad is he wear? Have you any pics?
  • bigdavevw
    bigdavevw Posts: 213
    Hi thanks for the replies.
    I ride the bike 1-2 times a week, mainly on a club ride on tuesday nights. After the ride the bike is hosed down, chain lubed and dried with a cloth. I sometimes use muc off, but i never spray it on the shock or fork, i usually spray it on the brush.

I do take care of my bike, so i am a bit pi55ed that they have worn out so soon.

I do ride my bike hard tho, but i would expect them to be able to handle this. I weigh under 10st as well so its not like i,m putting big loads through them either.

I will try and get pics of the shock slider but tbh i dont think my camera will pick up on them, but they can be felt ever so slightly with my finger nail

Dave
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like mojo got crap in the seals when they repaired it to me.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • sounds to me you have just had bad luck, i've got and rp23, float32 140mm forks and two sets of 40s. the 40s are the only ones i look after like i really should and the only problem i've had was a dislodged o-ring on the rp23, apart from that the whole lot have been faultless. the lines on your shock do sound like grit has got into the seal, check (using a magnifying glass if possible) for any small grains of dirt where the lines are in the seal.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i had my fox 36 talas rc2 since 2008 they been abused in whistler 8 times on some harsh terrain (bikepark and xc trails) i had them serviced once in 4 years, and they are fine the legs have some nice scratches on them but they still work perfect..
    my rp23 on my heckler (08) got it in sept 07 never serviced the shock in over 2 years again abused in whistler, and it was fine..
    the fox 36 talas rc2 on my hardtail are 08's and have never been serviced they still work fine but the talas system does not always wind down.. but performance wise they still fine.
  • Cheers for replies, well it seems i may have had bad luck with them. Think i,m going to get Rockshox stuff from now on tho!!

Dave
  • i had the fox f100 forks had same problem dust seals need changing every 6 months or the open bath side leaks the dial also becomes stiff as it gets crap inside it sometimes it wouldnt turn and the stanchions showed signs of wearing part from that great fork lol, guys at tftuned told me get rockshox forks and fox rear shock, so i got a sid fork and then decided to get a monarch rt3 shock then at least i can service the lot myself and dont have to send the shock away for a damper service at £100+ a pop
    anthem x with many upgrades