Downhill lessons

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
edited January 2012 in MTB general
OK, so I've had a crack at FoD and Cwmcarn and they were great fun :-)

I want to get some pointers on how to get better, nip the bad habits in the bud and have more fun (including getting faster than my riding buddy who's annoyingly quicker than me just now ). Preferably somewhere with an uplift cos I'm a lazy git - and not too tricky. So Cwmcarn or FoD would be an ideal location.

Any recommendations for someone who does DH instruction?
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't know if they're any good, but got a tweet from Firecrest MTB offering DH skills at Aston Hill (www.firecrestmtb.com).

But that's Aston and they don't have an uplift ;)

Not that it's all that bad to push up there.

Cwmcarn is nice but a very different kind of DH. Not really a gnarly steep switchback with lots of drops kind of DH place, unlike Aston. That's the kind of thing I need to learn a lot on as I struggle with Aston but can get down Cwm just practically rolling it.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks Kenny,

I figure as i've only tried DH twice then FoD and CC are good places to get myself up and running, then move onto the trickier stuff if/when I'm up to it. One thing I like about CC (apart from the lack of pushing :-)) is that you can go as hard or as easy over the jumps as you want, so great place to build skills & confidence up.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Ian at firecracker has been doing courses for years. He's an old mate though so I shouldn't comment too much as I am biased. He's also the CTCs MTB ambassador/liaison person, incase you're interested.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    look for the jedi,,,,

see if you can get hold of a copy of fluid ride ride like a pro, this is an amazing instructional dvd, and focuses on dh..

ebay is probably the best bet as it seems to of been discontinued...
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks Gents.

Delcol - good idea about watching skills videos in the meantime, quite cheap and beats freezing your nuts off :-)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Thanks Gents.

Delcol - good idea about watching skills videos in the meantime, quite cheap and beats freezing your nuts off :-)

If you can find it been looking for months!!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    delcol, thanks for the recommend.
  • Stevo_666
    Jedi wrote:
    delcol, thanks for the recommend.
    Jedi, which trail centres etc do you operate from?
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    I use my own skills area in hertfordshire