b'Twin V100 lights....BRIGHT!

ted-on-tour
ted-on-tour Posts: 225
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Just thought I'd let you other forumers know that were put off these little bad boys from Decathlon because of size & price.....Don't be!

Just took a punt on one, see what the crack was...thought it might serve as a small back up should my main one fail...but its just as bright as my main one and really can't fault it!

Just sharing the wealth...
Pain is a momentary lapse of character.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Your main one must be pants then !
  • Thanks for that, constructive AND helpfull....

What a bloke!.....Dick
  • I assume that you bought these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/v100-green-front-id_8138647.html
    I remember looking this in the shop a while back and I have to agree with fossyant. They are crap and your main light mustn't be very good

(can I be a cock instead of a dick, please)
  • fossyant
    Charming.

Sorry but if the V100's are as bright as your main light they can't be good.

The V100 are a backup's - nice to know they are quite bright though

If you are happy with little lights like that, then fine. Good luck out there !

My commuter (road bike) has 2 Hope 1's and a Knog Toad as a backup up front, with 2x 3w Magicshine 818's and Smart Super flashes ar the rear.

My MTB,has a Cateye 510 (pants in my opinion for seeing with) as a backup, Magicshine 808E as the Main, and a Mars 3 and 4 at the rear (I use this on ICY days).
  • fossyant
    Now the Vioo at £9.99 looks a bit better, but it's still a backup !
  • Ok ok....Perhaps the as bright as my main light bit was a slight exageration, however I still feel the V100's are good for what they are and would do me fine...

The origional post was aimed at people who, like myself can't afford to spend a small fortune on lights and who again like myself don't know any better, where as you obviously do...I mean, what, like 6 lights on your road bike all in? Slight over kill if you ask me, but then its all dependant on where you ride, if you ride down black lanes every morning and evening then fine....strap some fog light to your forks get a helmet light and ride one handed holding a surefire too if it helps you see.

All I was saying is that for an inexpensive alternative they're bang on...

I do apollogise for calling you a dick though...I'm not a morning person.
  • I do apollogise for calling you a dick though...

Group hug
  • I have a few as helmet & running lights, for a fiver you'll do well to find anything as good or as versatile but definitely not a to see by light.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Have a read of "What Lights"...

An Ultrafire XML 18650 torch is about £11 (+£5 for a charger and +£2 for a mount, +£2 for a cell unless you have access to free ex-laptop cells). A 510 lumen XML torch will give you 3 hours on MID setting on a single charge. This is bright enough to ride on a completely unlit road - at HI power you will still have up to 60 mins but you will blind the oncoming traffic so it is not recommended unless the road is clear.

I'm not a commuter, but I use one of these if I'm riding home from our local trail centre - 10 miles almost all completely unlit.

Many commuters will spend much more on similar powered but potentially better made an more reliable lights... and I've no wish to knock these choices. But if your budget is tight and you need to see where you are going then have a look at 'What Lights'.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • fossyant
    I know I'm overkill, but getting run over by a driver when I had 6 decent lights on the bike and 4 flasher backups on the rucksack got me slightly paranoid and she still didn't see me - so up went the lumens. Oh and it's 7 - two smarts on the back ! Hee.

On a budget also look at the cheap torches
  • fossyant wrote:
    I know I'm overkill ..

On a budget also look at the cheap torches

Totally agree with you on both counts .. I've got two of the the torches on the front and two of the 818s on the back (plus a spare holy handgrenade just in case the 818s fail - the 818s share the same battery) and now I know if someone is driving like an idiot around me it's becuase they are an idiot and not becuase they can't see me. Strangely, knowing that they are an idiot makes my cycling a less stressful affair :?

I totally believe that you can't have too much light .. however before any goes off on one you have to be responsible and ensure that just like other vehicles that your not blinding anyone.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile