Carbon bike with panniers

jibberish
jibberish Posts: 151
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone

I've got a cycle trip across Italy that some mates are organising. My mates are telling me that my bike is no good for this. It's a Scott CR1 carbon bike and I don't see any way of attaching panniers to it.

Is trying to go on a 10 day trip on my carbon bike a silly idea? Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I could carry a tent and a bit of camping equipment on it?

Jibb

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You cant use P-clips on a carbon frame and you would have to replace a carbon seatpost with a aluminium one to use clip-on rear racks. You could use a carradice saddle bag with an uplift frame or SQR but this may be too small for tent/cooking style camping.
  • my road bike didn't have eyelets for mounting a rack so I used one of these instead, seems to do the trick:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mpart-single-bo ... ack-mount/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get your mates to carry your stuff for you ? ;-)
  • jibberish
    Thanks MichaelW and TrickyGB.

Just having a look at that item and I'll be honest - other than I can see that it fits on the seat post, I don't see quite what it does. Sorry - I'm probably being a div.

:-)
  • jibberish
    cougie - I might try that ;-)
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    That is a replacement seatpost collar with integral rear rack eyelets, probably best used with a rack that sits on your quick release mounts (possibly Old Man Mountain brand?)
  • jibberish
    Ahhhh - gotcha. Nice one (just looked up the Old Man Mountain website). Thanks :-)