New bike, Boardman or anything better available £500 - 700

porlyworly
porlyworly Posts: 441
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi all, looking to replace my battered old Iron Horse hybrid for something new as I'm now commuting three or four days a week and can justify the outlay with my savings on petrol!

I'm very new to cycling and Boardmans seem to get favourable reviews and seem to have an extra £60 off at the minute plus 4% quidco, I can also get an extra 6% off as we can get discounted gift cards through a scheme at work which would bring the price down further.

My commute is mostly road / cycle path and is only 10 miles but there is a section of off road & canal path I could take which I'm not sure a road bike would be ideal for thus have been considering another hybrid or a cyclocross. Am I being parandoid and would a road bike be fine on this terrain?

I've looked on the website at Road, Hybrid and Cyclocross bikes as well as the different specs (Team, Comp & Pro) and I can't afford any more than around 700 so just wondering if any Boardman owners have an opinion on which would be most suitable for my requirements!

Anyway the £60 off and 4% quidco for Halfords Boardmans expires tomorrow I think so unless anyone has any other suggestions of great deals out there that would fit the bill I think I will be taking a trip to Halfords!
First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross

Comments

• The Boardman Team CX is probably for you... £ 850 at the moment, the advantage being that depending on which tyres you fit on, you can have a good road bike or a good off-road bike. It's got some decent disc brakes too, which take away the hassle of having to keep the rubber pads and rims clean.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Well the Boardman bikes are well regarded but at £599.99 I think you can get a better specced bike
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=71977
    http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p3670

Just a couple of alternatives for you to think about,Nothing wrong with the Boardman though If you have your heart set on one go for it .
  • Thanks notlongnow, this is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for (suggestions!) as I don't have my heart set at all!

Ugo - agree that the CX looks like the best option of the boardmans and it will come in at £711 but that is stretching it a little for my budget!
  • You can spec the Ribble Sportive 7005 to £675(with full tiagra groupset) plus £25 spare to add options to £700
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.

--Ernest Hemingway
  • Hmm can't seem to find any information or reviews on the Forme Vision but it seems to be very good value for money. I hear the Kinesis frames are highly regarded
  • Theres loads of bikes on the market without reviews,maybe ask an owner on a forum
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    if you are going to commute in all weathers it would be nice for you to have a bike that takes full mudguards.

if you are a fair weather commuter only the world's your lobster.
  • I commute in all conditions, to be honest I prefer the cold / wet to when it's sunny as it keeps you cooler and there is less hassle queueing for a shower when the fair weather guys go into hibernation!

Thanks for your input guys, at the minute I'm leaning towards the Forme Vision just because it seems so well equipped for the bargain price
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I've got a Road Race and love it 8) zero issues and a great ride :)

Agree though if your going off roads with it, then probably a CX bike would be better. I'm looking at converting my hybrid to drops at present, but wish I'd gone for a CX for commuting now :|
  • Thanks for the info regarding Paulscycles, notlongnow.

I am very interested in the Synapse Tiagra and the Giant Defy 2. I love the look of both the bikes so its down to really frame and components. I have read that the Defy frame is very good but not seen so much regarding the Synapse and obviously the Synapse has the Tiagra over the Sore on the Defy.

Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated!
  • Both bikes are of a more relaxed riding position and have excellent frames and are highly regarded,Not being an owner I cant really comment on which I would prefer pick the one you like :D
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Hi all, time to stop lurking. Sorry no advice just another question. l am considering Boardman Cx or Tricross sport disc (LBS sell them and have been good to me, with my Ridley). But would rather have disc and Triple for £900ish, anybody know anything about the Norco ccx2 (evans has them). Any of hese bikes would be good for a new commute on the tow path and some touring next year.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    or save my cash and get the CCX3 with compact and disc for £600. Blo#dy bikes when you think about a new one you just cant stop changing your mind.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp