Shhh! Computers (=the NSA) have ears!

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Unaccustomed as I am to lowering myself to a perusal of the online version of the Daily Mail, my attention has been drawn to this piece:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... jokes.html

There are several eyebrow raisers in this story. I'll let you, dear readers, chose your favourite. For me, it's a run off between his "pal's" explanation for why he would hurt anyone, and the penultimate expression on the watch list of words (which was a bit of a "WTF!" moment).
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    And that, kids, why you can't use your real name on the internet.
  • notsoblue wrote:

<Imagines...>

@ the NSA HQ:

Agent A: "We've got one!"
    Agent B (looking over shoulder): "Nah. He's got a user name. That's not his real name. We'll never be able to i-d him."
    Agent A: "Awwwwww."

</Imagines...>

Although you may save them the odd 5 seconds here and there by using your own name, I suppose.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Trouble is, if you can't filter the nonsense, it is more likely you'll miss a real threat.

It's good to know that if someone does actually want to get into America to commit a crime, as long as they make a public announcement of it they'll certainly get caught.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Greg66 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

<Imagines...>

@ the NSA HQ:

Agent A: "We've got one!"
    Agent B (looking over shoulder): "Nah. He's got a user name. That's not his real name. We'll never be able to i-d him."
    Agent A: "Awwwwww."

</Imagines...>

Although you may save them the odd 5 seconds here and there by using your own name, I suppose.

:lol:

Were these two on a watch list before they went to the states though? Or is it more likely that someone at border control google'd their name and their plot to destroy america came up on the first page of results?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Didn't a guy in the UK get arrested and accused of terrorism for a joke about an airport?..

I fear not typing the joke, else I'll get arrested.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    ^^ #twitterjoketrial
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I think what I enjoy most about the Daily Mail is the posed photos - suitcase, check. Dour faces, check. Wearing their "bestest" clothes - check. Makeup trowelled on - check.

A joy.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited January 2012
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • W1
    edited January 2012
    notsoblue wrote:

Pah, the threat from SCRers is greater.
  • sketchley
    Just read the article someone doesn't get irony....
    --
    Chris

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Didn't a guy in the UK get arrested and accused of terrorism for a joke about an airport?..

You should NEVER joke when answering the question about "did you pack this bag yourself?" Just. Don't.

(ex Airline employee who got to hear some of the stories)

Although that time at Schipol... talk about those crazy Dutch.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey

You should NEVER joke when answering the question about "did you pack this bag yourself?" Just. Don't.

(ex Airline employee who got to hear some of the stories)

Although that time at Schipol... talk about those crazy Dutch.

Pretty sure the joke was on twitter.

Suffice to say, the joke was explosive.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Genuinely, as someone who needs to travel to the USA reasonably frequently, I think very carefully before putting anything derogatory about our drawling cousins in print.

Paranoid perhaps?

The level of electronic monitoring is staggering (includes phone calls for key words BTW).
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    That's going to be a long time before either of those two can go back to the US - like never !
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    SimonAH wrote:
    Genuinely, as someone who needs to travel to the USA reasonably frequently, I think very carefully before putting anything derogatory about our drawling cousins in print.

Paranoid perhaps?

The level of electronic monitoring is staggering (includes phone calls for key words BTW).

I heard a story once about someone who was on the phone telling someone else how to get into yankeeland without worrying about controls. The line got cut off. Coincidence?
    Good source :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    W1 wrote:
    I think what I enjoy most about the Daily Mail is the posed photos - suitcase, check. Dour faces, check. Wearing their "bestest" clothes - check. Makeup trowelled on - check.

A joy.
    Like that?

Then you'll love this: Angry people in local newspapers.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • W1
    bails87 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

A joy.
    Like that?

An utter delight, thank you very much indeed.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I always get pulled for interview when I try to enter the US.

Apparently this is because a man who has the same first name and surname as me, but has a different date of birth, different middle names, different finger prints, different retina scan and, crucially, a different face once committed a crime there.

Every fecking time.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey
    Dutch passports for married women keep the maiden name in the main 'name' bit of the passport, and say, lower down 'married to:'.

Suffice to say, when the family to America and my parent's flight were booked as Mr & Mrs Chasey, we were pulled into a room and questioned for an hour.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    bails87 wrote:
    W1 wrote:

A joy.
    Like that?

That has made most of my office chuckle. ta.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    the lack of a sense of humour exhibited by US border guards is really quite eye opening.
    FCN 12
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    neiltb wrote:
    the lack of a sense of humour exhibited by US border guards is really quite eye opening.

Not planning a trip to the good old USA in the near future, then ? :wink:
  • sketchley
    neiltb wrote:

Maybe they are trying to be funny and no one is noticing. How ironic would that be....
    --
    Chris

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Sketchley wrote:
    neiltb wrote:

Maybe they are trying to be funny and no one is noticing. How ironic would that be....

Nah it cannot possibly be an attempt at irony.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    neiltb wrote:

Not planning a trip to the good old USA in the near future, then ? :wink:

I never plan for trip s down south, they are imposed through work from time to time.
    FCN 12
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    neiltb wrote:
    I never plan for trip s down south, they are imposed through work from time to time.

Must.resist.bad.humour....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5