My First 50 miler

2»

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    bails1310 wrote:
    Hyperthetically speaking........if someone wanted to ride more a 100 on say 2, 3, 4 consecutive days, is there different training for this or would it be previous posts in heaps. How often would you need to be doing 100's before you think about it?
    Once you can do a 100, you can do 100. I did 3 consecutive days out last year - 102 on the first day with a good tailwind, second day was hard work getting started but by 10 miles it was easy tho I struggled a bit for the last 15 as it was a real headwind and hilly route, then the 3rd day was routine - sit & pedal for a lot of hours. TBH I got bored and didn't bother with the 4th day but once you've broken it it's not a problem, subject to the usual caveats of eating & drinking properly before & after & having a good post-ride routine like a long soak in a warm bath & a good meal full of proteins & carbs that you actually enjoy.

The first 50 / 70 / 100 is a big barrier to crack but most of it is psychological. 7-8 hours on a bike isn't the hardest thing in the world.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Great thread, made me feel motivated to get out tomorrow for a couple of hours, may make 25mls if lucky. But looking forward to 50 sometime in the spring. My main problem is time away from the family, i have to say the other half aint to happy for me to be gone to long, but thats life.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • hodge68 wrote:
    i have to say the other half aint to happy for me to be gone to long, but thats life.

Have to say neither is mine as we have 15 mth old girl too. Realised it's easier to promote visiting friends and family or day out who may be 25 - 50 miles away and bagging a lift on the way home.

I need to find a friend 100 miles then?
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Time to invest in some roof bars and visit the rels more often i think, Mmm.
    Infact Dudley to Malverns must be about 50. Will have a look now.
    The inlaws will think im after something if i visit to often.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • bails1310 wrote:
    hodge68 wrote:
    i have to say the other half aint to happy for me to be gone to long, but thats life.

Have to say neither is mine as we have 15 mth old girl too. Realised it's easier to promote visiting friends and family or day out who may be 25 - 50 miles away and bagging a lift on the way home.

I need to find a friend 100 miles then?

Im in the same boat, ive got a 2 year old and another due this May.

I find going out about 7 (ish :) ) on the weekend, you can do 50 miles in 3 hours so your back for 10 and youve got the rest of the day for family duties.

Sometimes its just as easy to go out when the little one is having an afternoon sleep, that give me about 1.5 hours so I can do a 30 mile training ride.
  • http://connect.garmin.com/course/619906

Added another 10 today today which much less 'tuck' on board. First 30 pretty good averaging 19.6mph when I had my stop off - quite liked the 42.5mph downhill [I think you can see which bit that was!] Not sure how folk get to 50 and beyond.

Found the mirrored return harder - not sure it was the hills, lack of intake or trying to cling to the near 20 average. Came back with 18.7mph average.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • Great reading this thread.

I'm doing Paris - Cardiff At the end of May with 15 others - I'm yet to buy my road bike so I'm encouraged with the talk here.

Hopefully just enough time to build up the mileage!!!
  • You took enough drink for 90 miles :P
    Congrats on the distance
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152