I am not sure what its called but...

larryb
larryb Posts: 78
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I have a dilema. Just took ownership of my new Canyon nerve xc 7.0 and it has a treble xt hollowtech set up. But I want a guard for the biggest ring to protect my leg in the event of any accident. (please nobody suggest going SPD. I am only just getting my confidence back after being clipped in and snapping my arm and now having an xray profile like wolverines. I am back to flats) I used to have one on my old deore crank, a crappy plastic portector that just screwed in to the holes provided. On this there is none and all the bash guards I find are instead of a big ring? Is there a device that compliments thes 3 rd ring. If not can you easily removed the 3rd rind and replace with a bash guard on a 2012 triple xt hollowtech crank set up. Can you see my dilemma or am I just being thick??

Cheers Guys :D
Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've been riding bikes for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of times the chainring has done me any damage in an accident.

Is this something you have a bad experience of or just concerned about a big toothy ring spinning by your leg?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a big ring bash. about 60 quid if you can find on and not worth it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • In all of my crashes, I have never come close to hitting any part of myself on the rings. I wouldn't worry much.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep, only once have I had a big ring shaped cuts in my calf, looked quite cool actually. I also tend to crash quite a lot ;-)
  • larryb
    Simply a little paranoid. And as Chuckers points out I do tend to overrate myself in technical ability and often end up parted from my bike quite often at speed. I had no fear at all before my accident I want to prevent any risk of injury in a fall. Plus I have always had one and my new bike does not have one so my attention is drawn to it. There just seems nothing on the market as an after product any more when there used to be loads years ago...
  • larryb wrote:
    Simply a little paranoid. And as Chuckers points out I do tend to overrate myself in technical ability and often end up parted from my bike quite often at speed. I had no fear at all before my accident I want to prevent any risk of injury in a fall. Plus I have always had one and my new bike does not have one so my attention is drawn to it. There just seems nothing on the market as an after product any more when there used to be loads years ago...

That's because you normally find them on bikes that are very cheap. I really would not worry, your riding a mountain bike, only way to prevent any risk of injury is either to wrap yourself completely in bubble wrap when you go riding, or not ride at all. Your seriously in the wrong sport if your worried about injuries that have a 0.5% chance of happening.
  • nicklouse
    larryb wrote:
    There just seems nothing on the market as an after product any more when there used to be loads years ago...
    as mentioned above there are lots of plastic "guards" but they are normally found on commuters not MTBs.
    Blackspire is about the only maker of a big ring bash and at 60 Quid it aint worth it. Also why no one makes one as no one buys them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have one I am just about to take off my commuter if you want it :)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I would just buy some shinguards if you are that worried.
    Probably get some 661 Veggie Shins for around £30.

(I wear them to keep my legs warm/stop wraparounds.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    When your hitting the techy stuff or downhill, I try to make sure the chain is on the biggest ring, so if I have an off at least the big ring is covered (I do have a bash guard now though)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nicklouse
    1mancity2 wrote:
    When your hitting the techy stuff or downhill, I try to make sure the chain is on the biggest ring, so if I have an off at least the big ring is covered (I do have a bash guard now though)
    but that gives you crap gearing.
  • larryb
    larryb wrote:

That's because you normally find them on bikes that are very cheap. I really would not worry, your riding a mountain bike, only way to prevent any risk of injury is either to wrap yourself completely in bubble wrap when you go riding, or not ride at all. Your seriously in the wrong sport if your worried about injuries that have a 0.5% chance of happening.

Have to wholey disagree with that... I had Deore crankset on my last bike and that had one pre-fitted. Before those bikes I purchased them seperatley.

I do worry of injury as I have just had to take 4 months out of the sport due to breaking my arm & wrist and have had to have metal plates installed to hold it all together. This happened while out on my own on my day off. (pretty scary stuck in middle of a forest with a snapped arm and no phone reception and awaking from being knowked out and being 6 miles away froma hospital.) I have done two trails in the last two weeks as only now able to cope with the strength and pain needed. It has shattered my confidence and ability. I just would like some protection that is factory made rather than me hashing some ugly thing together.

Good statistic that, where did you get that from?? ;)
  • nicklouse
    larryb wrote:
    Have to wholey disagree with that... I had Deore crankset on my last bike and that had one pre-fitted. Before those bikes I purchased them seperatley.
    yes it is the touring/shopping version and is a bit of plastic to keep your trousers out of the chain.

the ring is different and has mounting for the bit of plastic.

any shimano dealer will supply a new crankset (or big ring and plastic thing).

they are not designed to keep the teeth out of your legs.
  • eyepic
    eyepic Posts: 58
    I have a large crescent shaped scar in my right calf where my chainring got fully burried in... agree it could be considered cool as it looks like a shark bite... but it bloody hurt.

I now ride with a Fox shin guard that wraps around my calves as well.
  • larryb
    nicklouse wrote:
    larryb wrote:
    yes it is the touring/shopping version and is a bit of plastic to keep your trousers out of the chain.

yeah it was OEM so probably explains it. Suppose I am just being a little paranoid. It was something my friend said to me that started it all off and hes reason for not riding flats. Plus with accident. Doubley paranoid!!
  • larryb
    eyepic wrote:
    I have a large crescent shaped scar in my right calf where my chainring got fully burried in... agree it could be considered cool as it looks like a shark bite... but it bloody hurt.

I now ride with a Fox shin guard that wraps around my calves as well.

OUCH!!!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    eyepic wrote:
    I have a large crescent shaped scar in my right calf where my chainring got fully burried in... agree it could be considered cool as it looks like a shark bite... but it bloody hurt...

+1 Sliced through me like I was being prepared for a bbq. I was barely moving when it happened too, slightly embarrasing but chicks dig scars.
    I don't have a bash guard though (I did about 18 years ago when I was hitting more rocks and logs) but if you want the peace of mind and help to bring your confidence back then just go ahead and get one. You can pick up RaceFace guards for about £35. However, the main purpose for a bash guard is to protect your chainrings from impact. Generally they are designed to sit in the big chainring spot so it might not be an option for you unless you want to spend more cash going to a 2x10 set-up.
    I like the idea of shin pads that wrap around. That'll probably give you better protection overall and perhaps boost your confidence more.
    Whatever you do have fun and stay safe.
    Many happy trails!
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    nicklouse wrote:
    larryb wrote:

I think you should just take your time easing back in to it and just ride a bit easier for now until your back to full strength and your confidence is back up which it will it just takes time, your probably over analizing everything at the moment which is normal in your situation due to your crash but lets be honest crashing and MTB go hand in hand well at least it doe's in my world :lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • larryb
    1mancity2 wrote:

Thats a simple idea thats very good!!!
  • larryb
    Stu Coops wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    larryb wrote:

I think you should just take your time easing back in to it and just ride a bit easier for now until your back to full strength and your confidence is back up which it will it just takes time, your probably over analizing everything at the moment which is normal in your situation due to your crash but lets be honest crashing and MTB go hand in hand well at least it doe's in my world :lol:

Your dead right..but imagine..4 months away.. its so frustrating!!!
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I'd be far more worried about a bust arm, bust leg, bust neck, bust shoulder, bust anything than a chainring slicing me open.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    larryb wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:

Thats a simple idea thats very good!!!
    I get into the big ring as soon as practicle as it tightens things up and reduces noise. Crashing at speed though you're less likely to slice your leg on the chainring so it's not a worry IMO. In fact, I think you're more likely to hit the chainring when moving slowly and teetering over on a technical section. (p.s. my slice happened like that and I was still clipped in too)
    But take your time as Stu suggests, let your head get back into it.

Oh, and I've been out of riding action for over two months because I injured my wrist (bad sprain, while riding on my bike, no other reason :oops: ). It's still not 100% but I am ready to get out again.
    Many happy trails!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    On my old GT, replaced the big ring with a RaceFace bash, £35.

I was not using the big ring, so off it went. Should be plenty of replacement bashes for the big ring.

Because I tended to be in the middle, I did have a few gashes from the big ring before that after falling off but also just from lifting the bike in and out of the car and catching my leg.

Now I have the same triple running as a 1x10 with the bash outside, single ring middle and no granny. My big bike has a 2x10 and I don't bother with a bash there as most of the time the chain is on the bigger ring (39t).
  • larryb
    All good info guys.. Think
  • larryb
    All good info guys.. Think I am just going to opt from putting my chain into big ring on the technicals. Id rather not lose my big ring for them boring but fast fire roads!!!!
  • Stu Coops wrote:
    over analizing
    Probably don't want to put that into google without parental filters :shock:

Clips won't help anyway as you will be in a big enough crash to have separated from the bike before chainring buzzsaw injuries are going to be an issue.

It seems a bit of an ask of a bike to cover both the type of stuff where you are expecting to stack that big yet still need a 42T plus big ring for XC at the same time! I would love an 8" full suss bike that climbs upwards like a homesick angel but it ain't possible!

On a 3 ring setup the middle is usually 32T as there is always the bigger ring to go for. If you are going double and bash then why not up the middle/'new big' to a 36 or 38T for your higher gearing on fire roads?

Look up an online gear ratio calculator- sheldon brown has a good one.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

I don't know what you currently have fitted, but if the smallest ring on your cassette is a 12 and your big ring at the front is a 42T you will have lost one or two higher gears by going for a 36T on a double setup depending on your rear cassette spacing

Have a play with the ratio calculators and see what you come up with - it is surprising on the gear overlap between the front three rings on a traditional 27 speed setup
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Go 2x10. The range almost of a 3x but in a nice 2x set up and you are likely to be sat in the big ring much of the time, and there is less overlap of gears ratios.

In my case I've got 26t/39t up front and 12-36t at the back. Wasn't sure at first but I'm sold on this arrangement. Gets me up hills with ease and plenty of top speed and no wasted ring and front shifting is neater with just two.

That said I've also got 1x10 on the hard tail and like that too. 34t up front and 12-36t at the back. Just means I lose a little at the bottom and top but I'm not finding I spin out and it's a small amount of extra effort on the climbs. Lighter bike though. Huge benefit is no front mech. Hate front mechs. And chain is always on the same ring, so no exposed teeth.