Cracked vertebra and issues, any experience?

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
About 6 weeks back I was in a crash, resulting in a cracked C7 vertebra. So, have been wearing a "CTO brace" ever since, and wonder if anyone else has had experience with these things? Very awkward thing to wear, especially in a high humidity summer!

Docs say things will be fine, and any discomfort is most likely caused by wearing the brace. I have some very mild numbness in one or two spots, which appears not to cause any functional problem, just a bit disconcerting.

Any feedback appreciated.
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I broke my T11 last May. Still get a bit of stiffness and soreness especially when it's cold/first thing in the morning. However other than that I'm fine.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    It wasn't a bike accident but i shattered my my 5th vertebra 13 years ago had to wear a halo frame for a good few months but since then have had no problems like Nap sad bit of stiffness when it is cold and damp but that is it
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    Burst fracture of c6 and a couple of bits snapped off lower down a year ago. Some stiffness and pain at times but 'normal' activities no problem. I have not yet been able to try a 200km ride or anywhere near it but I probably will.
    I think the fractures are the most easily imaged injuries, but their presence indicates lots of soft tissue problems that are more important in the long run. Keep fit while you are waiting for it all to heal.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Suffered a burst fracture of L1 vertebrae about ten years ago courtesy of a motorbike accident.

Thanks to very poor medical attention whilst in Switzerland at the time it healed badly and will never be "right”. Occasional back pain is to be expected but strangely the very worst thing I find is to do no exercise (if I'm laid up with a cold for example), thank god cycling doesn't affect it TOO much although it can twinge if it's a long day out-but that's why they invented pain killers.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Compressed my L2, L1 & T12 in july last year - was in a brace for 4 months before getting back on the bike and hoping to race this year.

I find if i bend too much i get pain through the vertebrae, but it improves.

Mate broke his C7-C4 ( i think) a few years back and was put in one of those neck brace things for 5 months. He's back to normal like nothing ever happened.

Just bear with it, and take it easy. Takes time to heal, and with spinal injuries, listen to the doc.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Oh, and sometimes after sitting down for a while and moving after, my whole spine clicks and it feels awesome once it's done that! Pretty odd though moving and hearing about 15 clicks from your spine.
  • Wheelspinner
    I had follow up X-rays today and had to flex and extend my neck for the first time in 6 weeks, which induced a LOT of cracking in various parts, made me extremely nervous. However, seems to have been all ok, and report from the radiologist so far is positive. Neurosurgeon next week.

I've almost finished repairing the bike, just new bar tape required. Today I even had a new pair of fabulous shoes arrive, and yet I am somehow just not that enthusiastic about getting back on it. No idea when I will be able to anyway, but right now not that excited by the prospect. Hope that changes!
  • napoleond
    It will. I went through the 'never riding again' >> 'just a little bimble on my own' >> 'ride with people I know and trust' >> 'I might have a crack at racing again' it took 9 months...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Wheelspinner
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It will. I went through the 'never riding again' >> 'just a little bimble on my own' >> 'ride with people I know and trust' >> 'I might have a crack at racing again' it took 9 months...

This will be the hard part. I was with a small, non-competitive bunch of friends/acquaintances, all of whom have been riding seriously for 10 years or more, and all it took was one moment of inattention from one of the "best" riders in the group...

Part of me really wants to get out riding again because I know how much good it does me, mentally at least as much as physically. But today, I spent a couple of hours in the garage agonising over the possibility of selling up the whole freaking lot: five bikes, plus the other two wheeled masterpiece in my avatar, and a huge collection of parts, accessories, tools and clothing.

BTW, thank you NapD. I remember your circumstances, and am pleased you are back, both on the bike because that encourages me, and here on the forum too.
  • napoleond
    Heh heh, you're going through the same as me, sold the ruddy lot. Except kept one nice bike...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I took a tumble and cracked C4/C5, as well as breaking a couple of other bones. As said by others- for a decade I had a reasonabley good barometer. I also found every excuse under the sun for *not* getting back out on the bikes.

However, get back out I did. I'm still trying to return to the level of fitness I had 10 years previous and just wish I bit the bullet and got back on two wheels sooner.

The thing I struggle with now is looking over my shoulder whilst riding. Make sure you get good physio as soon as is practicable as limited neck movement is, well, a pain in the neck!

Good luck, and don't rush into the decision to sell.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.