Ride fluids?

bulluke23
bulluke23 Posts: 48
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Have been cycling a year or so now and seem to spend a fortune on energy drinks. From looking online i have found a few home recipes but thought some of you may have some good tried and tested drinks.
Summer: Condor Classico
Winter: Genesis Ather

Comments

• ara3791
    ara3791 Posts: 378
    Vitamin C, Maltodextrin and BCAA's...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Water
  • Thanks ShutUpLegs.

Tend to take water in one bottle but something extra for longer rides in another bottle. Some things on the internet mention water or fruit juice with added salt and sugar. Anyone tried these?

Will look into the other things Ara3791
    Summer: Condor Classico
    Winter: Genesis Ather
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Water

+1. Although I often add a bit of squash for different flavours.

Admittedly I only do 25-40 mile rides, but I get on fine with simple hydration rather than bothering with 'energy stuff'.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    bulluke23 wrote:
    Thanks ShutUpLegs.

Tend to take water in one bottle but something extra for longer rides in another bottle. Some things on the internet mention water or fruit juice with added salt and sugar. Anyone tried these?

Will look into the other things Ara3791

Why don't you try this. Then you'll know.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    strongly recommend ZERO tabs - around £6 for 20 bottles is much cheaper - not full of sugar, and not sticky either. On longer rides I find salts loss the issue - you can always cram a snickers or something from a petrol station - thankfully out here the shops tend to stock Pocari Sweat - which is wonderful stuff!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    strongly recommend ZERO tabs - around £6 for 20 bottles is much cheaper - not full of sugar, and not sticky either. On longer rides I find salts loss the issue - you can always cram a snickers or something from a petrol station - thankfully out here the shops tend to stock Pocari Sweat - which is wonderful stuff![/quote]

Pocari Sweat - awful name, lovely when ice cold! Got me through a few rides out in Asia.

I use Ribena cordial diluted with water - yummy!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs