Avid elixir 5 levers locking issue

phonic73
phonic73 Posts: 60
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Dont know if any elixir 5 owners have this issue, but when riding over anything remotely bumpy makes the levers shoot foward into service mode ( at least I think that's what it's called). This means I have to click the levers back into position before the brakes engage which is getting really annoying.
Anyone else have this problem at all, and if so is there a cure?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The levers on my Elixir 5s move forward as you say but they need at least as much force to push them forward as they do to pull them backwards when braking gently.

Have not had any issues with them moving fowards on their own.
  • Weird, mine are really easy to push forwards, hence why they keep locking in that position, even if I simply drop off a small ledge the motion just bumps them enough. Wonder if mine have an problem !!!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you are not clicking them home. or they are bust.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Looks like Im getting new brakes then !!! LOL DOH!!! Tempted to avoid Avids now though and look elsewhere.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mine never jump forward on their own, and they are really old J5's!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    phonic73 wrote:
    Looks like Im getting new brakes then !!! LOL DOH!!! Tempted to avoid Avids now though and look elsewhere.
    why?

get them looked at by someone with a clue. it may just be user error and there is nothing actually wrong with them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gives me an excuse to buy something better ;-) shhh ;) LOL Dont tell my missus !!