Some Doping news from Germany...

Doobz
Doobz Posts: 2,800
edited January 2012 in Pro race
28 German athletes involved in blood doping scandal
Written by Frank (fran knock) on 01/29/2012 @ 19:54

According to the German TV station ARD, there is a large German doping scandal to come around sports medicine Andreas Franke. The German will the blood of a total of 28 athletes treated with UV radiation, something that for years prohibited by WADA (World Doping Agency).

It is a method in which the blood is drained, bestraatld with UV and then the body is done. Back in the GDR era, this method, resulting in many sporting successes. According to WADA any introduction of blood, blood products or blood type is prohibited, so is this.

There are currently 28 known names involved in this scandal. These are among other skater Claudia Pechstein, Nils Schumann (Olympic champion in the 800 meters) and Marcel Kittel, the Dutch cycling team sprint i4t1.

Meanwhile, the prosecutor in Erfurt a criminal investigation launched against Franke, where for several computers were seized from the Olympic Training Center in Erfurt.

http://sport.fok.nl/nieuws/524341/1/1/1 ... ndaal.html
cartoon.jpg

Comments

• Sorry I duplicated your thread. :oops:
    Not good news for potentially Cav's biggest rival.
    Being Germany, we know there will be no carpet rolled out to sweep this under.

Here's the CN link from my duplicate:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ard-lin ... estigation
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kittel. Ouch...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    "The most successful neo-pro in the history of cycling" according to the cover of ProCycling.

Ouch indeed.
  • Doobz
    This could be huge. Just when the Germans were getting interested in cycling again.

According to http://jonathansachse.de, ARD & ZDF are the German broadcasters with special Anti-Doping Forces. Best television doping researcher worldwide!
    cartoon.jpg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Oh FFS. This is really sad if true. He was an exciting prospect :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Doobz
    Rumours possibly brought out to smear "possible" wildcard invitation to the TDF

I still don't see how they can "prove" someone used black light UV treatment to manipulate?
    cartoon.jpg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Maybe they had a sunbed, a fridge and some plastic bags?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Doobz wrote:
    Rumours possibly brought out to smear "possible" wildcard invitation to the TDF

I still don't see how they can "prove" someone used black light UV treatment to manipulate?

A blood transfusion is a blood transfusion, regardless as whether the blood's been a sunbed.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    What is the point of naming a few riders and not all? Just to attract attention to their site or something. They know the 28 so name all, dont cherry pick. Too many ulterior motives...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Maybe this is what Pat and Frank are trying to cover up with their pointless spat with Kimmage..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Sigh.

And I had such high hopes for Kitten Kittel.

Say it ain't so, Kitten, say it ain't so.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Wow, they actually named people from other sports instead of covering them up! That's progress from Puerto.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Tom Boonen and Andy Schlek also used a black light to enhance their blood. However, they got their treatments from too many nights having their stamps checked at the doors of night clubs.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Gutted about Kittel, could have made the sprints VERY interesting...just when we thought things were on the up... :|
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Very sad that Kittel thought the need to cheat to gain success at such a young age.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The Doc is the national federation doctor, so it's pretty likely Kittel would've had some dealings with him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    What is the point of naming a few riders and not all? Just to attract attention to their site or something. They know the 28 so name all, dont cherry pick. Too many ulterior motives...

Well, stories do tend to quote the names people know... if there was a plane crash tomorrow and people died on it and someone amongst them was particularly famous and talented they'd mention it wouldn't they, like 'among the dead is Kelly Osbourne' (but then they'd probably go on to mention whoever the famous and talented one was).

So I don't think naming a few names is a sign of anything really, but yet to see.
  • iainf72
    http://ht.ly/8Lslc

Worth a read.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    That's how you handle a case like this, factual information presented clearly.

Most other teams take note.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    andyp wrote:

+1
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    andyp wrote:

Maybe this team has nothing to hide and the other ones do.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Phew (so far)

....and since when was putting blood under UV light a treatment?!?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Good stuff.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    A lot of respect to the team press officer, very classy explanation!
  • A lot of respect to the team press officer, very classy explanation!

+1
    No beef with it. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    That's how you deal with an allegation like this. Straight up, no bs.

Won't stop various interweb juries from condemning though.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Not commenting or complaining about the team response, or even Kittel, he may be an innocent party to this.

However, this 'black light' treatment may be a mask to cover other blood treatments. I have a UV lamp in my pond filter. It needs to run 24 hrs 365 days to help kill parasites and bacteria. It is not guaranteed to kill everything.

Putting a few cc under a black light for a short period of time will (in my untrained view), a. do absolutely nothing. b cook some red blood cells.

It will however, explain needle marks, possible blood fluctuations etc.

I think it is just a masking process, so perhaps Kittel not so innocent after all.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Putting a few cc under a black light for a short period of time will (in my untrained view), a. do absolutely nothing. b cook some red blood cells.

UV is pretty effective for treating skin conditions such as psoriasis. I don't know whether or not it will have any effect on blood used in this way, but I don't think your pond filter analogy provides anything useful.
    More problems but still living....
  • iainf72

However, this 'black light' treatment may be a mask to cover other blood treatments. I have a UV lamp in my pond filter. It needs to run 24 hrs 365 days to help kill parasites and bacteria. It is not guaranteed to kill everything.

Cycling is full of hippy nonsense, so this is probably something like some cyclists relying on homeopathic remedies or accupuncture.

If it was a ploy to mask something else, it's a pretty woeful one.
  • iainf72