Don't understand my new camelbak

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a 2011 Camelbak rucksack, which is very nice, but I can't understand the 'features' of the new reservoir system, and specifically how you dry it out. There was no explanation in the literature that came with the pack, and Camelbak's website doesn't have anything. I've had Platipus and Dakine products previously, so definately not a novice of hydration systems.

Obviously I can work out how to dry it by hanging it up, but can anyone explain these new 'features' :

• Fill up fast: External fill port opens wide, closes with a snap, and lets your reload water without reloading your reservoir - what does this last part mean ?
• Hang it up: Hanger clicks in fast with the click-link™ system - what is this ?
• Air it out: Folding arms lock out for faster drying - I can get the arms to fold out, but what on earth do I do with them ?
• Cut the weight: Lighter fill-port takes the edge off your load - what on earth is a fill port, and in what way is it lighter than previous models (it's just a plastic ring?!)

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    BG2000 wrote:
    • Fill up fast: External fill port opens wide, closes with a snap, and lets your reload water without reloading your reservoir - what does this last part mean ?
    You don't need to take the reservoir out of the pack to refill it.
    BG2000 wrote:
    • Cut the weight: Lighter fill-port takes the edge off your load - what on earth is a fill port, and in what way is it lighter than previous models (it's just a plastic ring?!)
    They used to be a lot chunkier.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just empty it and stick it in the freezer for next time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    cooldad wrote:
    Just empty it and stick it in the freezer for next time.

Now that's a top tip ! I wish I'd thought of that with my previous systems.

Cheers for the answers - I guess they seemed like dumb questions, but it seems like Camelbak are trying to make marketing ploy out of nothing, especially when they don't actually explain what these new bits do. I still can't work out what to do with the blue fold out arms.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    They just fold out as you already know and are supposed to let airflow through to dry it out and to be honest there not bad these new ones but yeh you are right to a degree a water bags a water bag and as cooldad says best way is just wash it out and stick it in the freezer but put it in a plastic bag first as if you have food boxes open in the compartments sometimes they can pick up the smell which sounds strange I know seeing as they are frozen.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    BG2000 wrote:
    • Hang it up: Hanger clicks in fast with the click-link™ system - what is this ?

this is an extra piece you can buy. its basically a yellow hook which clicks into the hole where the tube normally fits. so you can hang the bladder upside down with the dryer arms holding the filler hole open to dry better. (apparently)

rec-accessories-2012-antidote-dryer.jpg
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    The most common approach to looking after a camelbak is to drink 3/4 of the energy drink in the bladder then dump it in the garage for at least a week. The longer the better really.

Then 5 mins before you are due to head out on the ride realise that you haven't touched it since your last ride and then quickly rinse it out and try not to worry about the black bits floating around in your drink or why the once clear drinking tube is almost totally opaque
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Or as said empty and stick bladder in the freezer ;). No more gunk & deadly black bits, no messing about drying, airing and cleaning.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    To prevent mould, camelbak suggest just using water with a little lemon juice added.

I use lime cordial and high5 zero lemon and lime electrolyte tablets. worse thing I've found in any of my packs was electrolyte powder residue after I left my bladder in my backpack empty for a few weeks.

The high levels of vitamin c prevents mould growth.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er