Planet X SL Pro Carbon or RT-57

pete8uk
pete8uk Posts: 63
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Adding a new topic to my one asking about Giant Defy and Ribble Sportive Bianco. In that thread, Rolf (thanks!) suggested checking out Planet X, which I have. And they look good.

But, struggling to get a good understanding of the geometry style of these frames. The numbers mean very little to me, and the descriptions suggest the suit every situation :shock: It seems the RT-57 is racier, and the Pro SL a bit more upright. I think. Which is more what I'm after, something I'll be comfortable on all day.

I've read reviews suggesting the Pro SL is a good buy, but with a bit of flex on the front end. I don't think this is important to me as not going to be doing many full out sprints on it. Sound thinking?

Any advice on either of these frames would be much appreciated :)

PS: Based on what I've read in reviews, it seems Planet X come off looking a little better for customer service than Ribble (although there's plenty of good stuff being said about Ribble also). Dare I ask for opinions on Planet X vs Ribble for service?
Weekend: Orbea Orca SLi2, Shimano Dura Ace C50s & Conti GP4000s
Week: Boardman CX Team, Shimano RX31s & Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
Twitter: @pete8uk, Strava: 1277229

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    The SL Pro carbon is meant to have the racier geometry AFAIK.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Bondurant wrote:
    The SL Pro carbon is meant to have the racier geometry AFAIK.

+1

The RT-57 is supposed to be the all day Sportive bike, with the SL being the racier geometry.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/PBP ... _road_bike
    Traditionally, Planet X road frames have either been very racy, like the Team Aluminium, Pro Carbon, or the new N2a, or very practical like the Kaffenback.
    The RT-57 fits in between the Pro Carbon and the N2a, but off to one side. Those two bikes have our classic, long-top-tube road racing geometry. This makes for a bike that's fast and surprisingly comfortable for long rides, if you're flexible enough that it fits you.
    The RT-57 is a little shorter for any given size, so if you're not long in the arms and body, or as flexible as a top pro, it'll fit better. But it's still fast, light and racy.
    One upshot of all this is that the RT-57 is not is a 'sportive' bike in the sense of the long-head-tube bikes that usually carry that label. We've noticed that a lot of people set up that style of bike with a flat stem to get a quick position. If you don't you can end up with a bike that has so little weight on the front wheel it won't go round corners properly. We'd rather make a bike that handles right.
    Of course you can still use the RT-57 for sportives - or anything else. Racing, club rides, training, beating everyone else to the office. It's an all-round road bike at a terrific price.
    Simon
  • pete8uk
    Hmmm, yer know what, I already read that paragraph, but some how didn't take it in properly!

So, the Rt-57 is a sportive bike without a tall head tube? Does that mean its geometry is not as relaxed as other sportive style bikes? Or is a more upright position achieved even with a shorter head tube? Story, but it would be great if someone could spell this out for me.

Thanks
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    You won't take it in properly because its all confusing marketing b0ll0x, pure and simple. They do look nice though. If you are so worried about comfort go and try some out and/or get a bike fit. There are so many variables that can change the ride drastically of the same frame ie. stem length/angle, stack, saddle position and tilt, bars (length, drop and width) positioning of shifters, wheels, tyres, tubes, pressure.....blah de blah. There isn't an easy answer.

Shoot me down but your heart will have picked one, go for it as you will be happiest :)
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    pete8uk wrote:
    Hmmm, yer know what, I already read that paragraph, but some how didn't take it in properly!

So, the Rt-57 is a sportive bike without a tall head tube? Does that mean its geometry is not as relaxed as other sportive style bikes? Or is a more upright position achieved even with a shorter head tube? Story, but it would be great if someone could spell this out for me.

Thanks
    Don't buy into the names like sportive or racing. there is far more variation in our individual body shapes. it's quite likely that some one with long legs and short torso will be in a very racing position even on a 'sportive' bike.
    In short, unless you know your geometry to the mm, test ride the bikes you're considering.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    pete8uk wrote:

Thanks

I think it's saying that it really does depend on your size in terms of how the bike will fit, but it does imply it gives a more upright position compared to the SL.

Buying blind is not ideal, but there are other locations where you can see/test PX bikes (apart from @PX in Rotherham)

See: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/contact/uk-distributors

http://www.bike-science.com
    http://www.triathlon-zone.com/bikes2.html

Bike Science have a few places around the country and you get the same price as you would direct from PX.

Been very happy with my SL Pro and I haven't noticed any flexing from the front end, even when I peaked at over 90kg. Also seems stable at speeds ~45mph, so no worries there.

PX customer service is very good for their bikes.

I have bought a few things from Ribble who have also been very good. I guess people who have been unhappy with Ribble service (in terms of bike purchases) - probably purchased at a busy time for them, or they had a stock shortage etc.

If Ribble are close to you, then maybe this is another option. I don't think you can go wrong with either PX or Ribble TBH for the price.
    Simon
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900

Buying blind is not ideal, but there are other locations where you can see/test PX bikes (apart from @PX in Rotherham)

See: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/contact/uk-distributors

http://www.bike-science.com
    http://www.triathlon-zone.com/bikes2.html

Bike Science have a few places around the country and you get the same price as you would direct from PX.

If you're in the London area, see also:

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/product/35771 ... ce_Bicycle

I'd suggest phoning ahead to check they have your size in stock and built up. They only list the SL Pro on the website, but I've seen a few other PX frames there in the past.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    A club mate of mine has just built a bike up around the planet x Rt 57 frame and it is stunning looks great rides like a dream - jealous me no way ;-))
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I had an SL Pro, it was a great bike, I found it particularly good at climbing (especially the steep stuff like wrynose/hardknott etc.) I think due to its long top tube length.

It was a little flexy, mainly the front end (this became apparent after swapping to a frame with an oversized headtube and steerer tube)

It was nice and comfy though.

If I was looking to get a new frame, I'd definitely consider the RT57.
  • pete8uk
    Thanks all for your replies, and advice. I think I've got a plan:

Crimmey said go for the one my heart wants, which I think is either the Ribble Sportive Bianco or the RT-57 (for now at least!). But, as there are Planet X dealers a (comparably) short drive away, that's where I'll be heading.

Already sent an email to Triathlon Zone, who replied very quickly. Hoping to get down their for a fitting as soon as I have the time :-)

PS: I tried to convince my gf that a weekend in Preston, focused around visiting a bike showroom, would be fun. But she wasn't buying it...
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I'd go Planet X everytime.

I'm sure the Ribble frames are good, but I think the Sportive Bianco is a bit "old hat" now? I dont think its been changed/updated since they started selling it? Or has it? Either way its just a catalogue frame.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    pete8uk wrote:
    PS: I tried to convince my gf that a weekend in Preston, focused around visiting a bike showroom, would be fun.

Ah, now that's where you went wrong. :) Your pitch should have been about how beautiful the Lake District is at this time of year, and wouldn't it be great to spend a romantic weekend there, and by the way, would you mind terribly if we stopped off in Preston for just an hour on the way back so I can have a quick look at this bike I'm interested in that's so much cheaper than what I'd have to pay back home...
  • RDW wrote:
    Ah, now that's where you went wrong. :) Your pitch should have been about how beautiful the Lake District is at this time of year, and wouldn't it be great to spend a romantic weekend there, and by the way, would you mind terribly if we stopped off in Preston for just an hour on the way back so I can have a quick look at this bike I'm interested in that's so much cheaper than what I'd have to pay back home...

Dam it, you're right. I went about that all wrong, just needed a better sales pitch ;-) Must do better next time!
  • I just bought a planet x pro carbon for 899 with sram rival, just wondering if anyone knows the total weight of the bike.?
  • i'd be interested the know the weight of the whole bike too....am looking at the SL pro carbon rival as a serious option now
  • pete8uk
    Ok, a much overdue update to this thread: A few weeks ago I finally have my Planet X RT-57 SRAM Rival

Bearing in mind that this is my first proper road bike, so I don't have much to compare too, but after 300 miles or so, I'm very happy with my choice :-)

Obviously faster than my hybrid, but I've had no problem adjusting to the riding position so far. I feel safe and in control of this bike, even in traffic on a rainy day, which is a pleasant surprise.

Went along to my first cycle club run at the weekend, I think I've been bitten by the bug!

Thanks to all the people who offered advice whilst I was making this decision

PS: I can heartily recommend Triathlon Zone in St Albans. Not only 1 of the few places selling Planet X in the South East, but a great little bike shop. They'll even make you a coffee whilst you browse :-)