Basic Error

Stone Glider
Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
The Shutt soft shell jacket I had for Xmas 2010 has been a good friend in the cold weather. Between 5 & 10 degrees it works well with just a cotton tee beneath. Any colder or windy days then a l/s 'technical' base layer is deployed. Anyhow, I seem to have found a fault in this arrangement which , up to yesterday, has kept me toasty. Went out for a gentle trundle with the temperature about 8 and no wind, tbh I was quite warm by the time I stopped at the cafe and chose to sit outside in the sunshine. Set off afterwards and failed to get warm again. The cotton tee was wet from the perspiration and clung, cold and clammy absolutely refusing to heat up again.

The lesson I have drawn and wish to pass on to you for consideration is that cotton is fine if you keep going but if you intend to stop; wear a base layer that will wick away the moisture and keep working for you.
The older I get the faster I was

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Or don't stop.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The lesson is don't wear cotton for cycling. Why would you when much more comfortable and effective baselayers are available for peanuts?
    More problems but still living....
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Never ever wear cotton when exercising, you need a proper technical base layer, polypropelene and then don't ever let the missus wash it with a fabric softener as it will cling to you like cotton, cold damp clingy when wet!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,166
    ^^^ this, this, and this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,636
    amaferanga wrote:
    effective baselayers are available for peanuts
    I couldn't find any small enough available at Wiggle. They seemed more human-sized.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Well yes, thanks for that, my idea was to keep the pile of laundry down but 'technical' is definitely the way to go :)
    The older I get the faster I was
  • as the mountain climbers say, "cotton is a killer".... not very catchy but....
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack