5 Days in Wales

NickLCR
NickLCR Posts: 32
edited February 2012 in Holidays
Looking at spending 5 days in Wales, and i've narrowed it down to 2 places, Afan and Coed-Y-Brenin. Both look like they have plenty to do for the week bike wise.

Which would you choose?

Not looked into camping at CYB yet, but it looks nice and cheap at Afan with camping at Glyncorrwg, showers and pubs don't seem that far away (important!!!)

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    coed y brenin mate, you can do afan in 2 days easliy, unless you include brechfa and cwmcarn into your trip to afan i'd head up north.

check out here:

www.mbwales.com
  • NickLCR
    Thanks, reckon we could fit Penmachno in too if we go to CYB?
  • welshkev
    NickLCR wrote:
    Thanks, reckon we could fit Penmachno in too if we go to CYB?

definately, it's only about a 45 min drive away, but make sure you know how to find it - i've only ever tried once and failed :lol:

it's easy to find if you know where it is (obviously!) but as there's just a lay by to ride from you have to know which layby :lol:
  • NickLCR
    Probably do that on our last day then, go back to Cheshire via that. I've already sussed the start of the trail, looks like a small gravel car park at the side of the road?

Looking at Campsites now at CYB, hopefully as close to Dolgellau as possible to walk to the pub!
  • welshkev
    it's been ages since i've stayed up there sorry mate, i was lucky enough to have a job where i'd travel to n.wales a lot so i'd ride there en-route to somewhere else. so i can't reccomend anywhere sorry
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Only camping, or would a B&B do?

Stayed in a nice simple little B&B in Dolgellau, bike friendly, cheap.

Penmachno - make sure you do the better of the loops, or just do both of them. Not sure which I did but it was the dull one and wasn't really that impressed by the place. Or maybe it's all like that. Very old school XC kind of place. Maybe the bleak weather, exposed hills and zero facilities put me off it too.

Would have liked to have done Marin which is nearby to Penmachno. Nice grub/pub stuff in Betws y Coed nearby too.

CYB is great though and excellent restaurant/cafe in Dolgellau (all one of them, or at least anything else seemed to be shut).
  • Im interested in doing this also. A couple of things though, i've only ever been to Llandegla and done the red run a few times ... am i likely to find Coed Y Brenin a lot more difficult?? Also, my girlfriend wants to come but has asthma (she would struggle to do the blue run at Llandegla) but quite likes the scenic green (either walking or riding) is there anything like that there? Or does the blue have less of a climb to start as its that i think she'd struggle with.

Do you have a name for that B&B?? As fun as camping sounds a for a day or two any longer and a B&B might be a better idea.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dwy Olwyn http://www.dwyolwyn.co.uk/

Basic stuff, pleasant enough, nice hearty breakfast and friendly Welsh owner.

Not right in the middle of town, just up a bit of a hill, but not too long a walk. Close to the main road to easily whip up to CYB etc.
  • We're gonna camp purely because of cost, and a lot of the campsite have great facilities and great reviews to go with!

Looking at probably having 3 days down at Afan in July now too!
  • delaxm
    delaxm Posts: 180
    If you stay @ Afan, you've got two good days riding from the door & then two day trips to Cwmcarn & Brechfa, then a day of natural stuff in the Beacons or Black mountains.