Mavic CXP22 to Ritchey Pro Wheels

Darrenm72
Darrenm72 Posts: 93
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Is it worth while changing my Mavic CXP 22's to Ritchey Pro Racing wheels?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    That would depend on what bike you have, what you use it for, how much your were thinking of spending (the Apexs?) and what the hubs/spokes were to go with the CXP22 rims you have already and how they were built :)
  • Mavic's were standard on my Boardman Race bike, i am about to do more Sportives and would like a more Racy wheel. Budget yet still undecided but looking a picking up a pair of good conditioned 2nd hand ones.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Darrenm72 wrote:
    Is it worth while changing my Mavic CXP 22's to Ritchey Pro Racing wheels?

No - Ritchey Pros do not have a great reputation tbh (I believe that the new Boardman's now have the more relaible Aksiums on them). Need to set budget at £300+ for any noticeable difference
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I took some CXP-22s off my Roubaix with the intention of using them as winter training wheels on my old Boardman Road Team. I soon put the original Ritchey Pros back on the Boardman though as i found them much nicer than the CXP-22s IMHO. I upgraded to Mavic Kysrium Equippes on the Roubaix, and they're better still. So now have a pair of CXP-22s hung up in the garage and not sure what to do with them - don't seem to go for much on ebay so not worth selling...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Not sure what the Ritchey Pros are like,but I recently took advantage of a deal on Merlin cycles and got Mavic Ksyrium Equipes with Michelin Pro race 3 tyres for £235.

They are certainly a noiceable improvment on the Formula hubs with CXP22 rims tht I had before.The bike is notably more responsive and sprightly.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The main bugbear folks have with CXP22 wheels is nothing to do with the CXP22's. They are only the actual rims, which are tough... but the toughness comes at a price in that they are relatively heavy compared to some other options (although 510g is no lardy boy). Decent rim choice though (IMO) for commuting, training, winter use, etc.

The main problem is often the hubs that come with the rims or the way the wheels have been badly built and/or the use of cheap spokes. The hubs are often manufacturer specials selected just to meet a price point rather than finish off a nice bike with some quality components. The Spesh ones are particularly p. poor and many of us have moaned about the hubs (and in particular the freehubs) not lasting long.

I have some wheels with CXP22 rims (the rear has a nice 105 hub after I had to rebuild the wheel when the Spesh hub gave up). I have them on one of my road bikes at the mo and they were fine for a very testing 110k in the Brecons last week. In the spring I will stick my RS80s back on but I won't go any faster... the bike will just feel a lot more responsive and the wheels are better/nicer for climbing, etc.

So, I don't know what the Boardman (branded) hubs are like or the spokes or the build quality. However, given that they are stock wheels they will probably be worth about the same as a £100 wheelset. Hence, agree with the comments about needing to look at wheel choices that would cost about £300+ (if you bought brand new) to get a bang for the buck. Lot's of threads on here for that (wheels come up, oh, about every 20 minutes). RS80s, Krysiums, etc. Don't discount some nice handbuilts either.
  • i got about 2000 miles out of the spesh hubs...at least it gives you a valid reason to upgrade :)
    My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
    http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
    cervelo R5 VWD
    Spesh Roubaix
    Genesis Equilibrium
    Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
    Spesh M4 Stumpy
    Brompton SL2
    Giant TCX
    Canyon Grandcanyon 29er
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    if the ritcheys are off a boardman they are formula hubs, i only used mine dry but the hubs have been great and not too heavy. rear steel axle front aluminium and they are smoother than the 105 ive got. they are more aero than the mavic box wheels and as aero as any 25mm rim in a big list i saw somewhere. the rear offset gives good lateral bracing. dont know what the spokes are but they didnt break i was 14 stone something. the rims can seem to crack at the spokes as you pile 3 thousand or so miles but the build probably makes a difference.