Riding position for a Piglet - components needed?

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've moved sidewards from a 98' Zaskar LE frameset onto a Piglet.

This was mainly so I could run slightly longer forks and have a rear disk without bodging.
Both frames are 18" and the Zaskar had a layback seat post with 100mm stem.

Body wise, I'm a little odd as I'm 5'11" tall with 30" leg, so a long torso.
The 20" piglet would be too large.

I've got an inline seat post for the Piglet and with the 100mm stem, the nose of saddle to middle of bars length is exactly the same as the Zaskar.

The Zaskar felt very good to ride, but I am guessing it was more XC race orientated and head down than the piglet is intended to be. I've ordered a set of new bars and a 60mm stem for the piglet to play with, but due to recovering from a ruptured achilles tendon last August, I won't be out on it in anger for 6 months or so yet.

Because of this, testing is limited so I thought I'd ask for opinions with regards riding position and set up.

Does the same knee over pedal axle, reach arms length plus a hand etc etc work when riding these newer 'play' orientated bikes, or is a case of ride what feels good ? I have a sneaky suspicion that when I fit a shorter stem, the steering will improve (using 2006 reba air u-tun on max 115mm travel), but I may need a lay back seat post to give me the reach I'm used to. But then everything on reviews about the piglet suggests it should be used with inline posts.

The main purpose of the piglet is to have a play around trail centres and local woods. It won't be on all day epics and won't be jumped 20 foot, but I would like it chuckable and stable.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    twonks wrote:
    ride what feels good

Pretty much this.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    twonks wrote:
    I may need a lay back seat post to give me the reach I'm used to. But then everything on reviews about the piglet suggests it should be used with inline posts.
    I have simalar proportions to you and have just built an 18" Blue Pig with a 55mm stem and 10mm layback post. Took it out for it's test ride last night and it felt a bit cramped so I've decided to change the post for a Ragley Spike with 25mm layback. Shouldn't be a problem fitting a layback as the Ragley Spike was designed with these frames in mind and that's what the Ragley full builds come fitted with.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have a 90s Zaskar, and have test rode the Piglet - both 18 inch frames.
    Does the same knee over pedal axle, reach arms length plus a hand etc etc work when riding these newer 'play' orientated bikes

This means nothing in the MTB world, are old roady measurements.
    or is a case of ride what feels good

This means everything!

Saying that, the Piglet is designed to really get your weight forward onto the fork hence the steep seat angle - this works with the slackish head angle. It is the only bike with this sort of head angle and wide bars I have ever liked, did feel stable when you needed it, but quick when you needed it too. I certainly wouldn't have put a layback on it. But experiment.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I've ordered a new stem and bars amongst other things, so will try those first.

As is always suggested it is better just to get on and ride the bloody thing, rather than ask half a million questions that can't really be answered ;)

I'll be dropping the zaskar to a rigid road and towpath flying machine after the piglet is done. Am slightly more excited about that than I ought to be, as I can picture it looking sleek and fast with carbon goodies and skinny ish tyres.