Rain, snow and severe cold

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Morning ladies,

It's cold, very cold. If it isn't raining or snowing yet where you are it probably will be soon. MTFU and get out anyway.

Just try and stay off the ice.

Enjoy.

Comments

• You can STFU :wink:
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You posted this 2 and half hours after I'd set off.... :p
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    the perks of not being in the north... no need to MTFU as its not snowing, raining or windy :mrgreen:

its 3C as well, a perfectly manageable temperature.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Beautiful day... Left at 7.30am in the dark, watched the sun rise and got back at noon. Took in South, West and North Yorkshire.

Perfect riding conditions, no wind, fairly dry, just a few patches of ice, but just very very cold.

There was an optimum speed to ride at today. Not too slow as we didnt warm up enough and not too fast as we would get brain/face freeze.

Then straight back out to stand in the cold for two hours to watch son's football match.

Roll on the summer!!
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Did a swift 50km around Limburg/Belgium. The warmest it got was 0 degrees C. Nice.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    1C here today, cold enought to give me an ice cream headache on the descents (forgot my hat !).
    It turns out that I've still not shake my cold and after effects of my virus. A tight chest and that horrible metallic taste meant I had to take a bail out route and cut the route to 25miles. Still, that's better that the 11 miles that I barely managed last week !

Weather looks cold, but dry this week, so I'll be getting some more miles in and trying to shake the cold.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • -3C at home this morning, got 45miles in with t'lads, rather nippy.
    Cold coming our way until Wednesday.
    Mind you, I hope this bloke's prediction turn out to be wrong!
    http://tinyurl.com/6p3wth4
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • jim453
    You can STFU :wink:

I'm guessing you didn't make it out today Duane. Bit cold?
  • jim453

Presumably there is a sensible reason for you to be setting of at five thirty during January. What time did you get back? Are you a vampire?

Really, why set off so early when the ice and cold is at it's worst?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    jim453 wrote:

Presumably there is a sensible reason for you to be setting of at five thirty during January. What time did you get back? Are you a vampire?

Really, why set off so early when the ice and cold is at it's worst?

That would be 1 and a half hours after I set off.... (whoops!) :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    MattC59 wrote:
    1C here today, cold enought to give me an ice cream headache on the descents (forgot my hat !).
    It turns out that I've still not shake my cold and after effects of my virus. A tight chest and that horrible metallic taste meant I had to take a bail out route and cut the route to 25miles. Still, that's better that the 11 miles that I barely managed last week !

Weather looks cold, but dry this week, so I'll be getting some more miles in and trying to shake the cold.

A tight chest and recovering from a virus infection should mean taking the week off cycling completely. Recover well, come back strong.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    Set out to do 40 miles on Sunday. It was -2 at 8am.
    My hands were so cold that I had to turn around and come home after just 9miles, so only did 18miles in total.
    My hands were almost completely numb with the cold - it was extremely painful to apply the brakes. I was wearing waterproof Sealskin winter gloves but they did nothing.
    The rest of me was fine - even my legs were okay even though I was wearing my Lycra shorts.

Is my circulation messed up or am I wearing the wrong gloves?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I have some of those sealskin waterproof glove, no insulating qualities whatsoever - bin em'
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    2 hours yesterday, just started nipping at the quads at 30 miles so called it a day but nice to be out.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    6 rides in last week, 5 with varying degrees of rain from drizzle to downpour. 3 were in the dark. It's been the most I've enjoyed my cycling in years!
  • bristolpete
    Teece wrote:
    My hands were so cold that I had to turn around and come home after just 9miles, so only did 18miles in total.
    My hands were almost completely numb with the cold - it was extremely painful to apply the brakes. I was wearing waterproof Sealskin winter gloves but they did nothing.
    The rest of me was fine - even my legs were okay even though I was wearing my Lycra shorts.

A couple of tips. Cheap medical / car mechanic disposable rubber gloves under regular gloves is incredible and keep your hands well warm. Also, take out you bike shoe insole, line it with kitchen foil and put insole back in. They both work a treat. Give it a go.
  • bristolpete
    Pross wrote:
    6 rides in last week, 5 with varying degrees of rain from drizzle to downpour. 3 were in the dark. It's been the most I've enjoyed my cycling in years!

Are you from Belgium? 8)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    pretty chilly here this morning -1 but felt more like -3

no wind, lots of ice an lots of sun...i loves a good winter morning

beats getting peltered with hailstones
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    the perks of not being in the north... no need to MTFU as its not snowing, raining or windy :mrgreen:

its 3C as well, a perfectly manageable temperature.

Not much of a perk - it's sunny here in Leeds! And the scenery is nice as well......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Teece wrote:

A couple of tips. Cheap medical / car mechanic disposable rubber gloves under regular gloves is incredible and keep your hands well warm. Also, take out you bike shoe insole, line it with kitchen foil and put insole back in. They both work a treat. Give it a go.

Was out Saturday at 0650 and got 99.9km done. Will be trying the tinfoil insole technique on my commuter spds. I can also recommend using the gloves that you get at the forecourt under your regular gloves too (learnt from times on the motorbike).
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Are you from Belgium? 8)

Strange, I was actually thinking that when I was riding into work on Tuesday morning. I've always been a wimp with riding in bad weather but have put in a concerted effort to get myself fit. I told myself I'd drive if it was raining but when I got up I was psyched up to ride so went for it and really enjoyed it, felt really refreshed and with a nice burn in my legs when I got to work (return trip was going well until I hit a pothole and punctured!!).
  • bristolpete
    I love bad weather riding, but like to step back and not ride in the really bad stuff, more so Ice as I went down so hard in Dec 10 I really thought I broke my hip and whilst recovered now, I still get the odd pain in the right side from it.
  • Pross
    Lovely and fresh on my 18 mile commute this morning, really wakes you up. The frost on the timber 'boardwalk' section on the cycleway I use for a few miles was a bit of a worry but it was on a flat, straight section so no problems.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184

Well I don`t use Sealskins for cycling but have them for walking, and have found them to be AWFUL :(:( ---hands get cold and clammy useless IMO :o:o

For road cycling I`m using silk undergloves + Assos early winter OK down to about freezing; last winter occasn used winter mountaineering gloves, bulky but warm and toasty; suggest you look at Rab Baltoro or Extremities Munro / Corbett gloves if you suffer cold hands, not cycling specific but certainly a way to beat the cold :D