Wharncliffe

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited January 2012 in Routes
Evening all

Rode Wharncliffe today. Rather unexpectedly as i had intended to ride Edale, but the snow was quite thick there and i was scared of being linched by the, literally, hundreds of walkers in the area (i swear they can smell bikers)

Is Wharncliffe always so muddy ? i only had an hour there, but it was easily the most challenging ride this year. The Minions performed exceptionally, even in 3-4 inch thick mud. Im thinking its prob a better ride in the summer...?

A big thank you to the Female MTB'er that showed me where the start of the trail was

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• I don't go to Wharncliffe that often as I'm closer to Langsett (and ride to my rides) but everytime I do go it does always seem muddy there

Matthew
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I'm 10 mins away and avoid it like the plague unless we've had a long dry spell.The "old"black route was notoriously muddy and the new XC (short) stuff is just as bad.The DH's and off piste stuff are better but you really need someone who knows the woods to find it as non of it is signed/mapped.
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    I'm 10 mins away and avoid it like the plague unless we've had a long dry spell.

I'm exactly the same...it's always so muddy, shame really as its not bad when it's dry. I also agree the DH runs are much better, but again it's not always pleasent riding
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    IMO the only really "all weather" bit is the Crag-top run but it's not long enough on it's own.Last time I was in I tried to ride some of the old black-run and it was so over grown it was damn near impossible :lol: