An upgrade..

ShakyBakey
ShakyBakey Posts: 10
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I recently had a cheapo mountain bike that I was commuting to school on (I'm only 17..) stolen from the schools secure bike racks/half a shelter, despite being chained to both it's neighbor, and the racks themselves, and it being only worth about 50p and two pieces of chewing gum. Thus, they offered me a replacement. Desperate for a replacement, and unable to afford one of my own, I accepted their offer of a replacement.

Enter the Teman.

As a cheap entry level commuter its served me brilliantly, with a quick adjustment after it arrived and a wash down at the end of the week. But as I prepared for the army, I started using it for fitness work too, and noticed a few weaknesses, mainly with the gearing, and how dodgy it can be under load. The auto-shift up can be useful as the shifters are on the frame, but it's annoying when climbing hills..

So, I wish to upgrade the groupset, but on the cheap. I'm on a serious budget, but I need someone for advice/jargon busting/any new ideas that won't require me to sell of my kidneys. :lol:

Comments

• lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    What bike & groupset do you have?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    The school accepted responsibility for your bike and replaced it?

Unusual.

Don't think there is any sensible and cost effective way of upgrading the groupset on such a cheap bike. What is auto shift up?
  • I think the bike you've got is a Teman Sport 1000 or similiar? Something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teman-Sport-R ... 529wt_1270

I bought one of these when I first started road cycling and it served me pretty well tbf. Not sure what this auto-shift is either?
    As jim453 says, there's no way of upgrading it without spending a fortune on a groupset. My advice would be to scout around ebay and your local newspaper ads and the like for something. And whatever it is, always go and look at it before you hand over the dosh.
    Are you dead cert on having a speciality road bike? Maybe have a look at "hybrids" which are basically road bikes with fatter tyres and without drop bars and the expensive brakes/shifters that come with them.
    Really need an idea of you budget to help you any further but hope this helps :)
  • It's a mix of cheapo shinamo stuff, beneath sora i believe. Basically, when under heavy load (acceleration or the beginnings of slopes at pace) it will shift up the gears. No amount of adjustment on my part will help.

And it's this one in black biscuit.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEMAN-Mens-Ra ... 768wt_1270
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I don't know where you live, but by me there is a bicycle recycling charity. They take old bikes, donated by members of the public, refurbish them and sell them 2nd hand. At the same time they offer work experience to the long term unemployed. I know Back2Bikes are in Stafford, but if you search t'Internet or phone your local council, there may be a similar scheme near to where you live. They will give your old bike a new home, and sell you a good 2nd hand bike very cheap. If you still can't afford a bike from them, they also sell 2nd hand spare parts.