Route suggestions around Leeds

OwenB
OwenB Posts: 606
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I'm starting a course at Leeds Metropolitan University this coming week and after seeing the timetable I'm going to have a 3 hour gap between lectures, I'm not really a library person so I thought I'd take my bike in the car and go out for a couple of hours riding.
The only thing is I'm not sure which way to go to make sure I get a decent ride in so can anybody from around the area make any route suggestions? I'll be parking in the Portland Way multi storey and reckon anything from 20-40 miles would be a good bet.

Hope you can help

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I would suggest going north towards Harewood and Harrogate. I usually don't like A roads on my bike but the A61 between Harrogate and Leeds is generally okay, especially outside normal commuting times. If not going all the way to Harrogate, just past Harewood you can go on to nice quiet country roads, either left towards Weeton or right to Sicklinghall and take a different route back to Leeds.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ForumNewbie has it pretty well covered. I tend to do Sicklinghall the other way round - out via Adel, Wike and Collingham and then there are some nice short sharp climbs back up from the Wharfe valley between Harewood and Pool.

You can also head more to the Northwest - up to the Chevin though you'll end up with a more urban route back (eg Otley Road) unless you drop back to the Wharfe valley.

Also you can go more to the East. Again up to Adel and then the quiet roads around Shadwell, Thorner and Bramham towards Tadcaster. Then back to Leeds via Barwick in Elmet and Scholes.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • OwenB
    Thanks guys, would you consider this to be a decent route? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/918916
    My other consideration would be to ride back towards Ilkley on the A65 then back through Pool and onto the A65 again at Otley
  • That route looks fine, just very busy roads, particularly the A61 up Scott Hall Road. Check it out on Google Street View and you'll see what I mean.

Try this if you're feeling quick:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/921032
  • OwenB
    That route looks fine, just very busy roads, particularly the A61 up Scott Hall Road. Check it out on Google Street View and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers for that, I'm moderately familiar with Leeds and the surrounding areas but not for cycling so don't want to end up just riding on major roads and dodging traffic, definitely not quick but I reckon that route could be adapted to suit until I'm more familiar and the weather warms up a bit.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    That route looks fine, just very busy roads, particularly the A61 up Scott Hall Road. Check it out on Google Street View and you'll see what I mean.

Nice route but up Arthington Bank (Black Hill Road)!!!! I think my lungs tried to turn inside out last time I tried that. I tend to take the easier Creskeld Lane or Weardley options.
    To OP re your route ... A660 between Leeds and Otley is one of the better A-roads for cycling around here (care through Headingley though), A61 is fine once you're out a bit but a little gruesome closer to town - heading out that way from the unis you can keep out of the worst traffic via Meanwood Road and up Stainbeck Road. From north Leeds - Shadwell, Thorner, Collingham, Linton, Sicklinghall, Weardley, Eccup is my standard short-avoid-too-many-hills loop.
  • leedsmjh wrote:

Nice route but up Arthington Bank (Black Hill Road)!!!! I think my lungs tried to turn inside out last time I tried that. I tend to take the easier Creskeld Lane or Weardley options.
    To OP re your route ... A660 between Leeds and Otley is one of the better A-roads for cycling around here (care through Headingley though), A61 is fine once you're out a bit but a little gruesome closer to town - heading out that way from the unis you can keep out of the worst traffic via Meanwood Road and up Stainbeck Road. From north Leeds - Shadwell, Thorner, Collingham, Linton, Sicklinghall, Weardley, Eccup is my standard short-avoid-too-many-hills loop.

Don't forget I chucked in Norwood Edge as well for a bit of sport.
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    Why not drive upto to otley, ride along the back to ilkley then through to Bolton Bridge. Then back up Langbar and down to Otley. Should take a couple of hours.
  • ForumNewbie
    OwenB wrote:
    Thanks guys, would you consider this to be a decent route? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/918916
    My other consideration would be to ride back towards Ilkley on the A65 then back through Pool and onto the A65 again at Otley
    Your route looks fine to me. The first part, right up to Harewood, is the exact route I take when I cycle home from Leeds to Harrogate. Scott Hall Road is generally okay outside the main commuting times, when I guess you intend to go. Once it flattens out as you reach Chapel Allerton, only a couple of miles from your start point, it's quite a pleasant ride from there on.
  • OwenB
    Typically on what looks like a cold but fantastic day to be out, I slept in and didn't have time to get my bike and kit into the car before I set off for Leeds so I'm stuck in the library exactly where I didn't want to be. :oops:

Next question, anybody know any decent bike shops in Leeds city centre?
  • ForumNewbie
    OwenB wrote:
    Typically on what looks like a cold but fantastic day to be out, I slept in and didn't have time to get my bike and kit into the car before I set off for Leeds so I'm stuck in the library exactly where I didn't want to be. :oops:

Next question, anybody know any decent bike shops in Leeds city centre?
    There is only one bike shop in Leeds city centre as far as I know and that is Evans just round the corner from the train station in New Station Street, just off Boar Lane.
  • EX DH wrote:
    Why not drive upto to otley, ride along the back to ilkley then through to Bolton Bridge. Then back up Langbar and down to Otley. Should take a couple of hours.

Top suggestion that man and I feel ashamed for not having thought of it myself. If your bike's in the car anyway, just drive north until you get outside the ring road and everything's peachy!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Go and find Bob Jacksons. Order yourself something made to measure in exotic steel tubing.
  • I suggest getting the os map landranger 104 leeds/ bradford and 105 for york and studying possible routes . I live in roundhay and go from Becketts Park on residential roads using Grove lane and Stainbeck road. from there residential roads take me up to Slaid Hill and Shadwell on to Thorner and out to Bramham. bramham is on a loop so start the journey back on the same road towards Thorner and the first turning right about a mile and a half up gives you a coupople alternative ways back. I don't think it's any longer than your proposed route and it will be a lot quieter. also from Bramham there is a cycle path north running close by the A1. This comes to wetherby and return through Wetherby Collingham., East Keswick, Bardsey. you can continue further East towards Tadcaster using minor roads. Onvce past Thorp Arch the roads are really quiet (and Flatter)
  • Leeds - a crap-town if ever there was, so a one way route out .... I'd suggest to the east would be the best you could find