Really COLD weather and resulting really wheezy chest ?

Ezy Rider
Ezy Rider Posts: 415
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I went out riding today for 45 miles and it was seriously cold :shock:

When i climbed on board the bike , I was wearing :

windproof jacket
base layer with tee shirt underneath it
full length padded lycra leggings
bmc bib shorts over the leggings
woollen gloves with fingerless cycling mitts on top

and it was still baltic !!

As I was riding, I said to myself that I must be insane for going out, but MTFU reverberated in my head and I kept going. Obviously I was inhaling really cold air into my lungs as I rode, and when I got home , my chest felt like somebody was standing on it. It sounded really wheezy and laboured and never got back to normal for a couple of hours. It felt really uncomfortable and Im just curious if cycling into seriously cold weather causes anything similar to your chest ?

Comments

• jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    i had this last week for a few days commuting ,,im not well now :-( ,,maybe a coincidence but i think the coldness was a factor
  • Ezy Rider
    Ezy Rider Posts: 415
    jim55 wrote:
    i had this last week for a few days commuting ,,im not well now :-( ,,maybe a coincidence but i think the coldness was a factor

glasgow !!..........say no more jim
  • Mike39496
    Mike39496 Posts: 414
    I tend to get this a lot when playing football in the cold, wheezing and coughing up stuff whilst playing then a sore throat from afterwards, shortness of breath etc. Had a browse around on the internet and this seems to make sense http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/as ... sthma.html

Hope this helps!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Are you using a neck buff? I dont like to ride in the cold with a bare neck. Merino wool buffs are more comfy in the damp cold that really gets to your lungs.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    Mike39496 wrote:
    I tend to get this a lot when playing football in the cold, wheezing and coughing up stuff whilst playing then a sore throat from afterwards, shortness of breath etc. Had a browse around on the internet and this seems to make sense http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/as ... sthma.html

Hope this helps!

+1
    Exercise Induced asthma can happen in people who don't usually have asthma - it's brought on by exercising in cold air. Probably not a big deal to treat, you most likely just need a salbutamol type of inhaler a few minutes before going out.
    Alternatively it may be the start of a chest infection.
    See GP for proper advice if it recurs :wink:
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    There was an article in a MTB mag about this at some point. I cant remember the specifics but the general jist was that the cold air, forced inside during exercise irritates something in your lungs, promoting an asthma type response.
    Their simple solution was to stretch one of those neck buffs over your nose and mouth on really frosty mornings/evenings and breath through that. Got to be worth a try.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'd be very careful about this as slight differences in temperature/ wind chill and the contrast between outside and inside temperatures can bring on quite traumatic reactions if you are prone to them. I suspect you need to have an inhaler on hand for those rare occasions when this comes on and I'd definitely suggest you consult your gp. I had these symptoms about 15 years ago - came completely out of the blue when running in winter - I ended up with an inhaler and very glad I was to have it too. It can be quite terrifying if you have a severe attack - especially if you have picked up any form of chest infection on top.
    Peter
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Had exactly the same problem this morning, but that said, I appear to still be getting over the cold I had last weekend !

I was dressed suitably (although I forgot my hat, so kept getting brain freeze on the descents) and was plenty warm enough, but I ended up with a tight chest and that horrible metallic taste in my throat. My guess is that my throat hadn't quite recovered from the cold and the cold air irritated it ! It's still a bit tight and rattley now.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Put the base layer on first, tee shirt on top of it.
  • Most people so far suggesting wrapping up warmer.

However, it's more likely to be the air you're sucking in. If it's cold, you are sucking in very cold air, which is really not good for the lungs. In most cases, a scarf over your mouth will suffice, up to about -15 or so.

Otherwise, don't go out! Or,take it easy and you can always go flat out another day.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Depends how hard you were riding, I did a boxing day 10 once at -6C, my throat and chest was red raw afterwards and I sounded like Barry White for a week.

If you are breathing hard in the cold air, you can "burn" your throat / chest
  • Poves
    Poves Posts: 23
    Indeed this does sound like exercise induced asthma, and cold air certainly makes it worse. Try not to breathe through your mouth as your nose is designed to filter and warm air. Also as suggested by others a scarf over nose and mouth is worth trying - but take care that it doesn't restrict your vision, particularly when turning to look behind you. Starting off gently and allowing a warm up period will reduce the risk of having an attack.
    Asthma can occur for the 1st time at any age and is surprisingly common......it also kills too many people who don't treat it seriously enough - so do go to your doctor if it happens again. For simple and occasional asthma triggered by exercise a Salbutamol (Ventolin) inhaler may be quite adequate - and often a puff taken 1/4 hour before exercise will stop attacks happening. Salbutamol works by stimulating the narrow air tubes in the lungs to widen and this gives rapid relief - hence it is often referred to as a "Reliever" Anyone experiencing more than occasional asthma symptoms will probably benefit from using an inhaler that stops the lungs being so irritable (usually a steroid) and these inhalers are referred to as "Preventers"
  • Until quite recently I spent many years windsurfing through british winters, in the North Sea, and it was during this time that I developed exercise-induced asthma, in my late thirties with no prior history. I put it down to just the cold damp salty air but it was straightforward asthma.

Since then, and now, I use an inhaler as a preventative device. I also rode a 50, yesterday in fact, in 2 degrees with some windchill thrown in. Had I not taken a few deep breaths of ventolin just before I set off (As I normally do - no need to wait 15 minutes before setting off as the ventolin works instantly), I'd have been knackered, but my breathing was clear (as usual) despite a hard ride and very cold air. To be honest I did need a couple of refuelling blasts at around 30 miles (not the case in warm weather) but it works wonders straightaway.

I was a bit gutted when I was diagnosed about a dozen years ago, as I have always considered that being a bit sporty and having asthma are not consistent, but I always carry the little blue turbo boost device with me wherever I go and I've never been fitter, so in reality it causes me no problems, unless I forget my ventolin. I keep one on my mini saddle bag all the time now.

I do a 12 mile commute in temperatures well below zero often, and the wheezing just never happens as long as I take a blast or two of the blue stuff before I go, so it will not stop you doing anything, it's only excuses that do that!!

It's no big deal, but get it checked out and get a prescription if needed.
  • I was out on tuesday morning again and it was bitterly cold. Had on all my bike clothing to try to keep myself warmer, but this time i wrapped a big scarf around my neck and the top of my windproof jacket. It did the trick and I was lovely and warm and no wheezy chest after the 40 miles I covered. :mrgreen:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Ezy Rider wrote:
    I was out on tuesday morning again and it was bitterly cold. Had on all my bike clothing to try to keep myself warmer, but this time i wrapped a big scarf around my neck and the top of my windproof jacket. It did the trick and I was lovely and warm and no wheezy chest after the 40 miles I covered. :mrgreen:
    Did you have a tshirt on this time?

Why bother with wicking base layers then slap on a tshirt which wont get sweat off you?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I had just this as a child. Had ventolin and a preventer for all my childhood. However it never stopped me being sporty; I ended up being a PTI in the Army. However, over the years my asthma has gone the other way....i now have an extremely low dose preventer (one puff morning and night) and cannot remember the last time I needed the 'reliever'. I have a review next week for my repeat prescription and after years of no interest from my GP who just kept signing the prescriptions the new thinking is to hit it hard to start with then gradually keep reducing and reducing he medication to the lowest possible (which makes sense). I may well have the dose halved again....

I am as fit now as I have ever been, as a percentage of what is achievable at my age, and know exactly where you guys are coming from who are experiencing this cold air induced problem. Asthma is extremely complex and can be induced by many different factors. I have an allergy to house dust mites and cats. When I was a kid these triggered mild asthma. Now they don't seem too (the missus doesn't Hoover as often a I would like!) the cold induced feeling is still there, but doesn't seem to go to full blown attack.

I grew up in London, and am sure the pollution had something to do with it, since moving away my symptoms are vastly improved. You could argue that my 'preventer' medication is doing its job....well yes, but. Am on a fraction of the dose of the weakest preventer on the market now compared with three different inhalers as a kid!

So I highly recommend seeking some advice from a GP, especially one with a asthma clinic. Like I said, times have changed and they may be able to completely manage your condition so that it doesn't become an issue.

PP
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    No way are the lungs designed to take in vast amounts of freezing cold air for long periods of time. Something has got to happen if you carry on. So, ease off the long efforts in very low temperature conditions.

I was dropped in a race after developing a wheezy sore chest in the summer. Then in another race, I was in the successful break, and after the sprint at the end started a hacking cough like a heavy smoker. So, I went to my Doctor and told him about the coughing and he said "A lot of people cough". What a plonker!!. I booked in with another Doctor who put me on a ventilator. In time I went on a daily dose one.
    If you consistently get a wheezy chest after exercise then you may need to use a ventilator too.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I was diagnosed with bronchiospasmosis (a kind of asthma I guess) a couple of years ago. It's always worse when 1) it's hayfever season, or 2) in the winter, when I go from either a hot to cold or cold to hot environment - so, from a cold day onto a stuffy hot tube train, or from a cosy warm house onto a bike when it's cold. I get wheezy, but the main problem is a dry, hacking cough that's horrible.

I have an inhaler that I use if I get coughy, but the best thing I've noticed if I'm cycling, is that if I wrap a merino buff around my face, it really helps. Merino because it's warm but really thin, so I can still breathe quite easily through it, and because it gets damp with my breath, it seems to warm the air up before I inhale. Tried it with a thicker buff but that didn't work so well - thought I was going to suffocate at one point.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma a few years ago. Two things will trigger it, but only one; In summer, not warming up properly (ie. raising my HR too quickly) and in winter, cold air and not warming up properly.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    same here, couple of puffs of ventolin before exercise sorts me out and a buff when really cold, lets face it when its really cold you need to cover up as much exsposed skin as you can and warming the air will help your breathing.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Google "Exercised Induced Bronchospasm" or "EIB" or "Exercised Induced Asthma".

I have this and manage it by using a buff.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Poves wrote:
    Indeed this does sound like exercise induced asthma, and cold air certainly makes it worse. Try not to breathe through your mouth as your nose is designed to filter and warm air. Also as suggested by others a scarf over nose and mouth is worth trying - but take care that it doesn't restrict your vision, particularly when turning to look behind you. ...
    Another thing to try, as per the Obree breathing technique, is to raise the tongue to the roof of the mouth while breathing in, warming the air a wee bit before it reaches the throat.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have adult onset asthma set off by a severe chest infection which led to me being taken to a&e etc etc.

I'm on seretide as a preventer and the blue reliever, a couple of years ago when I lived near birmingham I would go on night mtb rides on cannock chase with a group and on one ride it was so cold I just couldn't keep up on climbs (about 5 seconds of the cilmb would have me wheezing and having to stop to catch my breath) and I had to call it off, the air was just too cold for my lungs.

I use a buff now and again when it's really cold and they do help but most of the time I find it's restricting and it does get very damp not nice on the face.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Biggest problem for me is that wearing a buff over nose and mouth can make my specs steam up. Sometimes I have to choose eyewear or respiratory protection