Bigger brakes

A planty
A planty Posts: 47
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I heard a guy saying he'd got bigger discs fitted. So looked in to it. It seem that the caliper remains the same so my question is. What difference does the bigger disc make? And what's the better gear to look for ?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Increases 'power' ie less lever effort for a given decceleration.

Need new rotor and adaptor for caliper.

Not all frames and forks can take larger rotors.
  • So what is the best rotars to look at and is it worth upgrading my brakes. I'm currently using shimano deores
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    They will add power, but the actual rotor brand etc. is not that important. make sure you get the right mount (6 bolt or Centre Lock). I'd go to superstar and get the lot there for a cheap conversion.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • A planty wrote:
    So what is the best rotars to look at and is it worth upgrading my brakes. I'm currently using shimano deores

You're being quite vague.

Questions for you:

What are your current front and rear rotor sizes?
    Do they provide adequate stopping power?

If so, leave them alone. If not, upgrade the rotors accordingly and if this doesn't provide enough stopping power, then contemplate more powerful callipers as a last resort.

It's pointless having big brakes for the mere sake of having big brakes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675

It's pointless having big brakes for the mere sake of having big brakes.
    As you may well end up will less braking.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bigger discs can shed heat more and run longer downhill under braking without fade. In addition to providing more braking force with less force on the lever.

In short though, if you are likely to be doing long descents of the alpine nature with a lot of braking it's worth looking into it. If not, it's probably not worth it.

Though with bigger rotors you could relieve your hands from death grip if the brakes need a little less effort and I find it's a bonus with single finger braking.