54cm frame for 6ft guy

stirlin25
stirlin25 Posts: 62
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
just bidded on ebay for a bike, saw it 2 mins to go, liked the look of it, won it! then realised its 54cm.
ah... :shock: its a scott tri bike, do you think i'll have major/any problems with this?
your advice is grately apprieciated!
Thanks

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Not sure on differences between manufacturers but my Cannondale 54 was being run by a guy 6 foot 1. He used it for 18 months before selling to upgrade.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • interesting, if i am finding it a bit small what could be advised apart from changing frame and altering seat post?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    If you are using it for triathlon/TT then a 54cm frame may not be that far wrong. Often makes sense to ride a slightly smaller frame in TT.

If you are hoping to use it as a road bike, you might find it a tad small.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    You could fit a longer stem to increase reach and prevent you hunching over the handlebars. Check that the width of the handlebars is sufficient for your shoulder width. I suspect you'll still find it a bit small but this might help. A decent bike shop will be happy to help sort you out optimising fit, but you'll only want to spend so much before deciding to call it quits and change to a 56 or 58.
    Peter
  • It's far too small, you want at least a 56 but more likely a 58
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    will be to small. im 6ft with 33 inside leg ive got a 58" raleigh airlite
  • Im 6ft with a 33.5 inch cycling inseam and ride a 54cm scott... And its a perfect fit, Scotts tend to size up large, although the size you need will depend on flexibility and body proportions.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    The bike will almost certainly be too small.

Why the hell are you bidding on a bike that is too small for you to ride. Is the size not one of the first things you would check even when only giving a brief consideration to the suitability of a bike?
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Did you actually want a Tri bike? or was it that it "looked good", if you have got it for Time trials, then as already mentioned you may be OK on that slightly smaller frame, however if you have bought it for general purpose use, which wouldnt be a good idea anyway, then it wil be too small.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Just put a longer stem on it -> most of the pros ride small frames with long stems.

The only problem might be that the saddle-bar drop is too big.
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    The other problem you may encounter is terrible toe overlap, ie catching your wheel with your foot. Problems with frame size are a little more complicated than simply raising the seat post or extending the stem. If as already pointed out, the bike is for sport or straight line speed, it should be fine. If you had more general use in mind it may be a problem. Your just going to have to try it and see. Hope it works out ok.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • amc
    amc Posts: 315
    That sounds all wrong. I had a wrongly sized bike for a few years - DON'T DO IT.
    amc
  • appriciate all your responses and im gonna measure up and if it is too small i will look closer at a larger frame than making it fit!
    cheers guys :)
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Can I respectfully suggest you get some help with your next purchase. Anyone who can read will probably be able to add something to the transaction.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    1)the general consensus for a TT bike is to go for a smaller size frame.so probably be ok.
    2)do you have long or short legs- we are all different.6ft is not enough info.

I would suggest ignore eveyone (including me) wait for the bike to come and give it a try.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    mattshrops wrote:
    1)the general consensus for a TT bike is to go for a smaller size frame.so probably be ok.
    2)do you have long or short legs- we are all different.6ft is not enough info.

I would suggest ignore eveyone (including me) wait for the bike to come and give it a try.
    DONT ignore everyone, you have not responded to the question of whether you actually wanted a TT bike, and therefore understand what you have actually bought. so was it a TT bike you wanted, or are you just trying to buy a bike to get started?
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    I'm 6 Foot 2 and ride a 56/ 57 in most frames, I have a 32 inch inside leg but a long torso, so the smaller than recommended frame (I should be on a 58 or larger by most bike makers sizing) is right with a longer stem for me. The position on my bikes feels spot on and I had a bike fit at Epic cycles so I know the sizing is right for me.

So to the original poster, yes a 54 is on the small side for you, but counter that fact that it's a tri/ TT bike which are ridden in as smal frame as possible to reduce the drag gained from a larger frame. You should be able to dial in a position with longer seatpost with some set back and a longer stem, but as mentioned before, if you do have big feet just watch that toe overlap with the the front wheel.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I'm 6ft and ride a 54cm Cannondale and it feels spot on.
    The shop I bought it from fitted me up correctly and they were more than happy with the frame size and the way I looked on it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    markmod wrote:
    I'm 6 Foot 2 and ride a 56/ 57 in most frames, I have a 32 inch inside leg but a long torso, so the smaller than recommended frame (I should be on a 58 or larger by most bike makers sizing) is right with a longer stem for me. The position on my bikes feels spot on and I had a bike fit at Epic cycles so I know the sizing is right for me.

That's odd. If you have a long torso, you generally want a long frame - match torso length to the frame and adjusting the seatpost to fit your legs. That's how Epic fitted me. Unless of course you were after a really upright position. Mind you, arm length must come into this as well. (I'm about 6 foot 1 and my Look has 546 top tube and 90mm stem).

Logically, on your argument if you have a short torso you'd need a larger than recommended frame - but if I went bigger, I'd be hopelessly stretched out.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    I am 6ft 2" and long body and ride a 58.5 or xl.
    Also 32" leg.
    The police will stop you on a 54cm frame as they will think you stole it from a wee boy.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    stirlin25 wrote:
    just bidded on ebay for a bike, saw it 2 mins to go, liked the look of it, won it! then realised its 54cm.
    ah... :shock: its a scott tri bike, do you think i'll have major/any problems with this?
    your advice is grately apprieciated!
    Thanks

My advice would be to go grovelling to the seller that you failed to spot the size and try and retract the bid.

Even if he posts negative feedback, it will be better than suffering on a bike that is plainly one or possibly 2 sizes too small
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    Rolf F wrote:
    markmod wrote:

That's odd. If you have a long torso, you generally want a long frame - match torso length to the frame and adjusting the seatpost to fit your legs. That's how Epic fitted me. Unless of course you were after a really upright position. Mind you, arm length must come into this as well. (I'm about 6 foot 1 and my Look has 546 top tube and 90mm stem).

Logically, on your argument if you have a short torso you'd need a larger than recommended frame - but if I went bigger, I'd be hopelessly stretched out.

Must be my short stumpy arms then mate :D , all I know is it feels right, bigger size frames make me feel stretched out too much. All goes to show that there has to be quite a bit of size flexibility for different sized/ shaped humans.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    markmod wrote:
    Must be my short stumpy arms then mate :D , all I know is it feels right, bigger size frames make me feel stretched out too much. All goes to show that there has to be quite a bit of size flexibility for different sized/ shaped humans.

Are you a bit like a T-Rex arm wise then?! :lol: Anyway, I'm happy with Epics recommendations.

You are right though - any attempt to guess a frame size based on someones height is a bit risky.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'm 5'9" and ride a 54 Cannondale...which feels about right...but I'm a funny shape, eg short legs - so you'd need to size yourself up

I'd see if you could get your money back - I've been caught on E-bay by the wrong size before - you could always either sell the bike on or strip it and flog the frame separately (if the frame's carbon and sized right then us shorties might be interested ;))

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i am a bit taller i admit 6'3" i had a 58" but now have a 61" at first i was a bit like hmmm bit big but actually now it feels fine, in fact did wonder if could have gone all the way to a 63"
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Lol @ some people.

Firstly stated sizes are pretty meaningless and vary wildly between manufacturers on where that measurement is taken (seat tube, top tube, vtt etc. etc.). Just because you ride a 56cm in one manufacturer does NOT mean you need a 56 in all.
    Secondly, as has been stated, it's common to size down on tri bike as you want a low front end and will usually be stretched forward on tri-bars.
    I'm 5'11" and have 3 road bikes, a 54 Kona, a 54.5 Look and a 56 Specialized - they all fit me.
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    Im 6ft 1 and have a sloping 54in frame and was told today at my bike fit at LBS that its to small. Bless them they have done thier best to make it fit me and i did not buy from them, but would like to get my next there.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp