Uneven Wheel Spin/Rotation & 142/12 Maxle Problem

guado78
guado78 Posts: 29
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have just fitted a new set of ZTR Crests/Superstar Hubs, which i am currently running tubed, to my bike however i have a couple of problems that may or may not be related.

Firstly the 142/12 Rear Maxle is so stiff to undo and remove by hand that i have to use a 17mm Spanner to aid getting the rear wheel off, by undoing the securing bolt, and then struggle by hand to twist it out. However when the Quick Release handle is folded to the closed position its still loose so the handle just flops about (Maxle had this problem prior to new wheel fitment although it is now more exaggerated).

The second issue is that when the rear wheel is spun via the crank and left to freewheel at a reasonable speed there is an uneven feeling which if i am holding the cycle by its saddle, rear wheel raised, or its in the stand it will rock the whole bike. There is no bearing play and i assume as the Maxle is so tight through the hub there is no play there. Its more like there is a considerable weight in one part of the tyre (didn't have this problem with the previous wheel-set). The tyre appears to be sitting perfectly even on the rim.

Overall i am starting to think that the Maxle is faulty and the wheel is not quite true, or am i over reacting and this is normal? It just doesn't seem right.

Would just like some other opinions.

Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the hub use spacers? They may not be the right size ie won't allow the frame to close properly. Could they have 135mm spacers in there?
  • guado78
    Hi Supersonic, the adapters are the correct ones. I can place the rear wheel back in the frame without the Maxle in place, as you should be able to, yet when i go to put the Maxle back it is a fight to get it in (as it is when i go to take it out). Reading up about them it should be a smooth operation however its far from that. It was the same for the previous set of wheels so i am almost certain its nothing to do with the hubs on either set of wheels.

Could the Maxle be slightly bent? Or worst still could the sub-frame be slightly bent? I have covered very few miles and not ridden anything ott so if it were the case that either of these issues were found to be the fault then they must have been present from new.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does the maxle fit the wheel fine without the frame in the way?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • guado78
    Hi Nick, no, it fits through the hub alone fine however it is still stiff to remove/replace without the wheel in place.
  • nicklouse
    so the issue is the frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • guado78
    Sorry Nick, rushed my last answer to you on my way out of the door, should have said "yes" instead of "no". Seems like the Frame however the Maxle does not lock properly once i do get it in, could be a by-product of a bent sub-frame???, i have not had a rear Maxle on a bike before, am i right in thinking it should be a nice tool-less operation to remove the rear wheel???
  • nicklouse
    Take it to someone who can. So they can work out what is wrong.