Topeak Tri DryBag - anyone got one

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,926
edited March 2012 in Road buying advice
I've been thinking of getting a Topeak Tri DryBag or one of their other similar Tri bags to fit on the top tube.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/tri_drybag
I'm not really keen on seat bags as I've had problems with them rubbing on bibs. I normally stuff my jersey pockets but thought this might be useful for a multitool, spare tube. It isn't that big but I'm guessing I could get those in... mobile, keys, energy bars, money could stay in the jersey pocket.

Anyone use them?
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• I have one of the tri-bags with the rain cover. I don't use it alot, but it's useful to supplement a normal saddle bag when I want to carry a compact camera on rides.

The only issue I have is care needs to be taken to ensure the straps are tight otherwise it can flop to the side and catch your knees when out of the saddle.
  • dabber
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm tempted towards the Tri Drybag as it seems that the dimensions are slightly bigger (5.7” x 1.9” x 5.0”) compared to the Tribag All weather (5.5” x 1.6” x 4.0”).
    Not much in it but I'd like to put my Crankbrothers Multi Mini Tool 17 plus a couple of tyre levers in it... plus a spare tube. Not sure if I'd get all that in or not?

I take your point about making sure the straps are tight. With attachments like this I usually cut a piece of old inner tube and put the strap (or tie-wrap) over that to protect the frame.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I think your multitool, levers and spare tub should fit OK in the all weather version.
    The base of the bag is rubberized so it grips and shouldn't mark the frame. The straps are fabric velcro, so unlikely to mark frame but a piece of innertube is a good idea and may reduce chance of it flopping to side.
  • Make sure you don't strap you cables down either....particularly your brake cable. :oops:

Eddie O
  • dabber
    I think your multitool, levers and spare tub should fit OK in the all weather version.
    The base of the bag is rubberized so it grips and shouldn't mark the frame. The straps are fabric velcro, so unlikely to mark frame but a piece of innertube is a good idea and may reduce chance of it flopping to side.

Just some feedback on this.... I ended up buying the "All Weather" version. As suggested, my Crankbros multitool, spare tube, tyre levers and tyre patch fit in easily, plus there's enough space for something like an energy bar. It fits my top tube fine with no slippage. I've put some fine rubber mesh type stuff that was left over from fitting my motorbike tank bag under it (including the straps). This seems to help with any potential slippage.
    So, bottom line, very pleased.