Upgrading to a new road bike

milldogs
milldogs Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I just started riding about 6 months ago and bought an inexpensive Vilano road bike just in case I didnt take to it. well six months later I cant get enough and I am training for the 100 mile Lake Tahoe ride in June so I am going to upgrade to a better bike. I am leaning towards the Specialized Allez and want to keep my cost below $2,000 and that would need to include new clips, pedals, and shoes. I am a pretty big guy 5-10" 225 pounds so I am looking for something that will handle that wait with no problem. Please chime in and let me know if you feel their may be a better option.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Allez is a great bike but there are a lot of other options in that price bracket so it is a case of the usual advice which is to get yourself down a shop and swing a leg over a few and see what feels right. The ideal would be a test ride although a short 30 mins to test a bike doesn't really cut the mustard...it will at least rule out the ones you dislike though.
  • Thanks for the advice, I have rode a couple others the Scott CR1 comp for one and even though it is a composite it just did not feel right but you make a good point I do have a lot of choices.

Thanks