Why won't my tyres fit snugly

hambo
hambo Posts: 49
edited January 2012 in The workshop
Just bought new continental 4 seasons tyres along with tubes that came with them. But no matter what I do I can't seem to get the tyres to fit snugly so they appear even. Where the valve is the worse bit because the wheels fit on a bit too tightly.

Just used a measuring tape and if I take it from the tyre from one side of the rim going over the other (just where the valve is) it measures just 5cm whereas on other parts it measures 6.5cm.

Is there anything that can be done. Is it a case of faulty tyre, inner tube or just faulty have a go novice? :oops:

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Deflate. Massage the tyre, put some lubrication on the inside of the rim (or on the tyre where it touches the rim) such as grease and then pump it up very, very, very, very hard. This should cause the tyre to pop out and sit evenly on the rim all the way round (not lumpy on one side). How easy this is to do will depend on what type of pump you have. And if you don't put enough/any lube on at all you can get into a situation where you blow the valve off the innertube. Release the pressure a little after it's popped up onto the rims (unless it's meant to be a high pressure tyre).
  • hambo
    hambo Posts: 49
    Thanks tried your suggestion with washing up liquid as well hairdryer. Even did it for two tyres to see what happens. In both cases exactly the same with the tyre going in 1cm more than around the other sides. That 1cm more actually happens across 8 spokes and coincidentally for both wheels. I'm wondering if I either have a set of faulty sized wheels or tyres. Think I will need to take this into a bike shop to see what they suggest.

Beginning to wonder if the fact the wheel is designed for Schrader valve and me trying to use presta valve tube is having any effect, which I don't think should do for this.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Vlve type won't have an effect, but don't screw down the valve lock ring tight until after the tube is fully inflated or it can pull the tube under the tyre.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.