Gear issues when indexing UPDATED

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.

Im currently having issues with indexing my rear gears on my zesty 514. Currently the gears are set so that they shift from smallest to biggest no porblem with one click = one move, the problem is going from first to second, it just wont do it, i flick the lever and the mech moves a little but the gear doesn't change i have to flick it again before it moves then after that one click =one move until i get to the 7th gear where one click jumps it to 9.

I know how to index gears and do it as a job.
The rear mech and cables are brand new, and the drivetrain was all recently replaced.
I had gear issues before replacing the rear mech but my old one was dead anyways so i put it down to that.
The only thing left is the mech hanger but that looks straight to me.

Any one got any ideas what else it coud be?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Bought the correct mech?
  • lugsey2k5
    Medium cage xt shadow. Old was a long gage but im running a 11-34 and double on the front
  • Chunkers1980
    Are you sure it's 9 spd?
  • lugsey2k5
    Just checked the ordeer and its a m772 gs so 9 speed medium cage.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Check the B screw is adjusted properly, the mech fixing bolt is tight and the hanger is straight. Try a different shifter to see if the problem is with that.
  • Chunkers1980
    Cassette on correctly? ie correct spacing between cogs
  • lugsey2k5
    Yer as far as i can tell. I assume i would have issues shifting into first if it wasn't on properly and the spacing wasn't right.
  • Chunkers1980
    Un-do everything and start again...
  • lugsey2k5
    Sounds like my only option at the moment. I think we may have a hanger alignment tool at work too so might check it with that.

Thanks for the help Chuckers i will report back after work.
  • lugsey2k5
    Ok i have discovered the cause of the problem.

There is too much friction in the cables, I was using Clarks gear cable and outer as i can borrow some from work as a temp fix until i can afford some decent cables, Shimano etc.

The full length outer combined with the small twist around the frame resulted in too much friction.

Iv managed to find a medium where gear change is a little slow but does eventual shift.

My next question is what do people recommend for cables and housing on a full length run? Iv used Shimano in the past but im open to better alternatives at a similar price?

Thanks
  • Chunkers1980
    Shim SP41 off the roll and I prefer non full length outers.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    Gore ride on cables. Expensive but worth it, shifting will be very smooth. And should last years anyway.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just use a length of Shimano SP41, cut properly, stainless inner with some lube.
  • lugsey2k5
    Gore would be nice but can no way justify the price, think ill go with sp41. Any one recomend some decent end caps? i have again cheap ones from work but not sure how much they will stop dirt getting in at the mech and at the front mech the cable stop means the casing points upwards towards where mud collects so a decent end cap there would help.

Thanks again guys.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never had an issue with Jagwire myself, and the end caps have an o- ring to seal!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • In the end went with sp41 outer, xtr inner cable then then some caps out of a sealing kit off wiggle that have a small straw on.The straw combined with a rubber gator used on v- brakes means the only entry for dirt is though a tiny hole next to the bolt that clamps the cable making them almost totally sealed.
    It seems to have done the trick and shifting is now spot on.
    Thanks guys.