egg beater 1 or shimano spd m520

jakewwfc
jakewwfc Posts: 72
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
im in the process of getting my 1st pair of clipless pedals, im thinking of getting the shimano m520 at around £22 or the egg beater 1 at £27, what would you recommend or are there better options around this price range. thanks..

Comments

• ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    I would go for M520, From my experience bearings are alot better quality and sealed, and they last for years
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    go for Shimano as a starter as you can adjust the tension
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Neither, buy these http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/32 ... pedal.html

Trust me on this, having moved from 520 style spds to these trail ones (admittedly XTR but same principle), they are tons better. The 530s are the same internals as the 520s (which are very good BTW) but with the extra caged body.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Shimano I'd recommend aswell I had eggbeaters a while back and although I had no issues with them if you clip out on a technical climb the Shimano are better as you can still turn the cranks over as you have some sort of pedal platform while trying to clip back in where the eggbeater you don't so can slip sometimes
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Personal. Shimano will last for longer, but are significantly heavier, and less good in mud.

Cage/no cage is also personal, I'd say no cage. There's not a sufficient cage to be able to ride in 'normal' shoes, and M520s aren't sufficiently flexy that you'll want the extra support.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I've got M520's and like them, have a look on the bay, absolutecycles knocks them out for £15.