Sizing question

vs4b
vs4b Posts: 257
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Be gentle with me...

I'm confused about what size bike is should buy?
I've been on the competitive cyclist calculator which tells me i'm:

Gender M
Inseam 84 cm
Trunk 67 cm
Forearm 38 cm
Arm 67 cm
Thigh 65 cm
Lower Leg 61 cm
Sternal Notch 151.5 cm
Total Body Height 187 cm

and gives me a recommended fit of

TT = 57.5
c-c = 55.5
c-t 57.5

These match my current bike (Giant SCR in L bought unseen) quite closely but it always feels too long. On the ribble 0.64* height calc it puts me on a bike with c-c of 54cm which would then have a TT of only 55.

I know the real answer is to go sit on some bikes... but i'm curious about what this all means - Am i oddly proportioned or just misunderstanding something?
Thoughts??

Comments

• STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    That site was way out for me. Can't remember what it gave me and can't be arsed to measure myself again but different people like different things due to flexibility and proportions etc etc. Also riding styles, also some people have different length legs ( this phenomenon usually becomes more common the further north you get ;))
    Best bet is try them. I am 5'11 with 34" inner leg and used to ride a 54 Cannondale (before it was nicked) with no problems. I currently am off the bike due to cash flow(well I have a mountain bike and an old hanger but they don't count ;)) but I have the remanents of a 57 Kuota Ksano which will be back on the road asap, this also felt ok, if a bit big after riding the 'dale.......Sorry I'm rambling. Try some bikes or pay the hundred quid for a bike fit and then you will know for certain, apparently.